Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Got Game?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Game?

Hybrid View

Got Game?

In light of this grand new thread, I would like to start things off with this.

Where do you game, and what games do you play? Do you kick it with some of the great quality FPS games that are setting the linux gaming trend (q3, Unreal Tournament, RTCW-ET,). Or are you more of a Role-Player (I personally am NeverWinter Nights junkie and have also been subject to the addictive properties of Nethack).

Finally, who here would be interested in scheduled games that the members could get together with and wail on each other every now and again :twisted:

Games I play on linux natively? Neverwinter Nights (and the SoU expansion), Wolfenstein Enemy-territory, America's Army. Using WineX, Steam, Everquest (Dont play anymore, but just in case), Pools of Radiance. Thats all I can think of atm. :shock:

I haven't played many games in years. One game I've bought lately is Uplink (http://www.uplink.co.uk/). I played GTA:Vice City briefly. I generally find that a modern games storyline isn't compelling enough to keep me playing (not that older games had extremely compelling storylines, but I was younger then :P )

I do enjoy first person shooters though, when playing deathmatch. I'm starting to like Unreal Tournament now, but I'll always prefer the Quake titles over Unreal, I think. As far as Linux is concerned, I've set Quake and Quake 2 up to run (with 3D hardware acceleration) under Linux before, but I generally find it's just a bit of a hassle these days; if I want to play a FPS Deathmatch, I don't want to spend hours reading HOWTO's on how to set the damned thing up

I'll always prefer my Atari STe for games, I reckon :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by Stween
    I don't want to spend hours reading HOWTO's on how to set the damned thing up
    Well, while that may have been the case back in the day, now most Linux supported games (vendor supported) are a simple matter of

Code:
    mount /path/to/cdrom
    cd /path/to/cdrom/linux/dir
    sh install.sh #### As user with appropriate permissions of course ####
    And Bam, your ready for some linux gaming goodness.

And speaking of Linux gaming goodness, my FPS in NWN is higher than windows (on the exact same machine)

But hey, if you need any help getting a game to run, I know this great forum you could use. Check it out http://www.linuxfoo.org/viewforum.php?f=16 :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by ZennouRyuu
    Quote Originally Posted by Stween
    I don't want to spend hours reading HOWTO's on how to set the damned thing up
    Well, while that may have been the case back in the day, now most Linux supported games (vendor supported) are a simple matter of

Code:
    mount /path/to/cdrom
    cd /path/to/cdrom/linux/dir
    sh install.sh #### As user with appropriate permissions of course ####
    And Bam, your ready for some linux gaming goodness.

And speaking of Linux gaming goodness, my FPS in NWN is higher than windows
    But then, as I said, I don't play many games these days

I haven't played any PC games on any platform in some time -- the last one I was kind of into was Civilization III (which was ridiculously hard at any level but the "easy" setting.) Is Neverwinter Nights all it's cracked up to be? I'm a shameless D+D advocate; it would be cool to play a well-designed game based on the old 20-sided dice...

Associate
    I was a rabid gamer before i moved for myself *smiles*
    Now i'm to busy with other things..
    *found out that it's a whole world outside with beer and women*
    So i'm playing "nethack" in the real world
    I love the UT series.. And i've got Winex to play Diablo2
    Much better on linux than windows
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?

I've always found that one of the hardest things when moving is finding a new group of people to game with. Especially considering my last move put me going from Korea, GMT +8 (?) back to US, GMT -6. I can't really expect to find my old freinds online frequently with time differences. And as far as pencil and paper gaming, which I have, and will always, prefer to ANY computer/console game, it's even harder still, I think. Electronic games, all you have to do is find a server reasonably in-sync to your time zone, and let the freind making begin! Face to face around a table, you've got to get these folks around the _same_ table. Ugh, the Big Outside is scary sometimes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuramone9
    Is Neverwinter Nights all it's cracked up to be? I'm a shameless D+D advocate; it would be cool to play a well-designed game based on the old 20-sided dice...
    I am hopelessly addicted to NWN, and all of the fantabulous modules that are in abundance in the Vault. It is a really great representation of the D+D rules (7th edition???). I would definately reccomend getting your hands on at least the original, I heard the expansions were a bit lack luster as far as new and shiny things go, but I intend to pick them up anyway once I finish my current relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroppus
    I was a rabid gamer before i moved for myself *smiles*
    Now i'm to busy with other things..
    *found out that it's a whole world outside with beer and women*
    So i'm playing "nethack" in the real world
    I love the UT series.. And i've got Winex to play Diablo2
    Much better on linux than windows
    Heheh, well I found a gorgeous girl who also happens to like playing video games as much as she enjoys going out to clubs!

UT is great, I still love the original UT, and 2k4 is a work of art. I havn't played Diablo2 in a few years, but I thought about firing it up just to see if it was a bit more exciting after so many years.