Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SuSE Rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuSE Rant

SuSE Rant

I'm using Suse personal 8.0. Isn't Yast great?

<rant> I've been trying to update to kde 3.0.3 from YOU (Yast Online Update) and it isn't working due to dependancy problems. YOU only updates me to kde 3.0.2-1.

I also can't get kde 3.0.1 beta installed without all these dependancy problems showing up.

Has anyone successfully updated kde to either version above?

I emailed the suse so called support team and received a very nice reply addressed to Mr. (my first name) telling me my reg is expired and they can't help me unless I want to pay.

I've tried to search their support database for some answers and can't find any. I think that's odd in this case because I can't be the only person who's trying to upgrade their kde thru YOU. I will admit I'm not the greatest in doing searches but I've tried every keyword I can think of and I've searched the 8.0 version too and nothing

The #suse channel on openprojects is one of the worst i've been to in irc. They tend to either ignor n00bs or give them answers they can't possibly understand. Don't even ask what does that mean because you will be ignored or receive some smartass reply.

I'm beginning to see why Suse isn't as popular as some other distros even though it's a good piece of software. From what I'm seeing, their support rivals M$.</rant>

OK I feel better now....sortof.... ???

/nick Lucyfrustrated

Good Guru

Re:SuSE Rant

ouch ...
    [shameless_plug]
    Score one for RedHat
    Their CSR's help out alot.
    [/shameless_plug]

But thats amazing. Their IRC is run be Debbies??? Whoa! Well, I suppose I could help a bit. First give me the list of dependencies, and I can see if there is a common trend (like one app or two) that are missing. Else I would reccomend using rpmfind.net to locate teh missing packages. Thats what I do at work (and for a few packages, it needed 10 to resolve -- DB stuff, didnt bother installing when first getting RedHat on).

And since I am a nice guy, with so much help in his heart, post the deps that need resolving, and I can make a nice list of links for you

Most of the dependancies are already installed on my machine. Kinda wierd but I've never had this problem with rpms. It's mostly libs and they're definitely there because I checked. I'll get the list for you though...thx...

I haven't seen anything called a Deb that was missing. I'll check that again though.

I love your shameless plug..

On an aside, my konq is afu so i'm now in mozilla and the fonts look terrible.

/nick lucyjeanhopeful

;D

<eat crow> heh.... guess what....oopsie......little mistakie ........

Don't you hate it when you blast the help desk ppl and they're sooooo nice in return?? Specially when they're right and you're wrong...

So the suse folks respond to my original email about my YOU not working correctly by telling me my 60 day free support period is up.

Thinking they were saying YOU is up after 60 days, I sent them a somewhat less than nice email back. It began with the fact that i'm Ms and not a Mr. and went downhill from there.

They sent me this response that makes me feel about <----> this big

YOU is available to anyone forever even if they pirated copies of Suse from a friend. They actually said this! And they said that it appears my YOU isn't working correctly and it's not their servers or anything.

Fine. That's what I wanted to know in the first place.

Soooooooo.......no Mandrake for me. Think I'll stick with Suse for a while longer. My system is so borked though that a complete reinstall is in order.

Oh and I have to return my new hard drive...sniff :-[ as it apppears the box was opened and i don't want returned merchandise....at least not a returned hard drive.

Anyway......the jury will disregard my previous statements about SuSE..... ;D
    </eat>

Lucyjean

Kind Mastermind

Hey, LucyJean...we must be related! I eat crow so often it has become second nature for me to reach for it before I reach for chicken at the table . Thanks for your willingness to air your dirty laundery like that (now go pull it in, we've seen enough :P).

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=4863;start=0#48699 date=1031502435]
    Hey, LucyJean...we must be related! I eat crow so often it has become second nature for me to reach for it before I reach for chicken at the table . Thanks for your willingness to air your dirty laundery like that (now go pull it in, we've seen enough :P).

Cheers
    [/quote]
    That NEVER happens to Debian users
    DEBIAN, we don't eat crow, EVER!!

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Bullgooseloony link=board=7;threadid=4863;start=0#48707 date=1031504936]
    [quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=4863;start=0#48699 date=1031502435]

Cheers
    [/quote]
    That NEVER happens to Debian users
    DEBIAN, we don't eat crow, EVER!!
    [/quote]

Why do you use Debian? What is the draw? I started out with the various and sundry Redhat flavors (Caldera, RH, Mandrake, Turbolinux, Suse). The only debian flavors I've tried have not worked well (Corel and Storm). I've heard great things about Libranet and have heard some not so great things about Debian proper. I'm just trying to get a feel for things (I love Slackware, which is supposed to be hard, though it is very easy to use/set up). Thoughts?

Basically, apt is the biggest attraction for me; it doesn't choke on dependancies like other O.S.'s that shall remain nameless; I pretty much started out the same way you did, Corel and Storm, in that order (That's important!) By starting with Corel, I got the idea that the command line was a punishment, that continued into Storm. As we all know, the command line is the natural Linux environment; the GUI is an add-on that can cause a whole lot of problems. Once I got that through my spectacularly thick skull, I began to see the advantages of Debian; stability, consistancy and apt/dpkg. The fact that the Debian people are among the most anal developers in the universe doesn't hurt either; I love their operating system, but I wouldn't want to live with them. One of these days, I'm gonna give Slackware a shot, but I'm in no rush; Debian satisfies all my current needs. As far as a difficult install goes, I did a Libranet 2.0 basic install and added my 7 CD set of Debian to the apt-cdrom sources.list; that's just about as painless as a Debian install gets; I've also got a "pure" Debian Woody install and a Sarge install running; I guess Debian's gonna stay with me for a while; it could be worse, I could still be using Corel!! ;D

Kind Mastermind

How difficult is it to install debian? I'm talking about "real" debian, not the commercial varients. I have extensive experience with cfdisk and m$ fdisk, so partitioning my hard drive is a no brainer (and usually the hardest part of any install). I have never tried apt, so I have no way of "judging" it's suitability for me. It sounds nice, though. I hate the dependency two-step (as most of us do). Thanks for the inputs so far (you just might get me to try Debian).

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=4863;start=0#48712 date=1031507399]
    How difficult is it to install debian? I'm talking about "real" debian, not the commercial varients. I have extensive experience with cfdisk and m$ fdisk, so partitioning my hard drive is a no brainer (and usually the hardest part of any install). I have never tried apt, so I have no way of "judging" it's suitability for me. It sounds nice, though. I hate the dependency two-step (as most of us do). Thanks for the inputs so far (you just might get me to try Debian).
    [/quote]If you've installed Slackware, Debian should be cake for you; I understand your reluctance to "commercial" Debian-based distro's, but I do have to say Libranet did it right; they streamline the install very well, and they didn't mess with the package management system. All they really did was eliminate the "tweaky" stuff that pertains more to server use than anything else; they DID add a really nice utility; adminmenu is one of the nicest Linux administration applications you could want, it allows you to do the onerus stuff easily; adding users, SCSI emulation for CD burning, setting up a printer, re-compling a kernel, etc. And as icing on the cake, it'll run at the CLI and let you fix a messed up Xwindow install.
    I'm kind of at the stage now where I feel I've outgrown Libranet, but when I'm feeling lazy, I use it; it's a real nice distro, but it can be confining.
    This probably isn't the answer you were looking for, so I'll put it this way; I didn't have any problem installing Debian, once I had run Libranet; I think your experence with Slackware would be the same for you.
    What could it hurt?