Thread: Promise RAID controller and RH7.3

kyiu

Promise RAID controller and RH7.3

> Has anyone succeed installing RH7.3 on a new box with the Promise ATA RAID controller? I have some limited successes installing RH7.2 but not even once with RH7.3. Even with RH7.2, I must use the rescure diskette to boot the system up first after installation. Then I must fidle with the /boot folder and the lilo.conf before the system can boot from the RAID. Even when did boot, I really not sure what change I did made the system boot up from the RAID. I tried this and that. Some time it worked and other time not. My target is running RH7.3. If anyone has any experience with the Promise ATA RAID controller I'd like to know about it.

Thanks,

johnqpublic

Re:Promise RAID controller and RH7.3

Are you referring to ATA/UDMA-133? I am not up to date with Promise Controllers but 133 is still a bit new and may not be supported much less in a RAID configuration.You have Redhat, so check their site for an update if any.

kyiu

Re:Promise RAID controller and RH7.3

No, it's the older version - ATA100. On the Promise support, the latest driver suppose to support the RH7.3. The module name is FastTrak.o, not ft.o which is referred to in the ATA RAID howto paper. I'm using this driver to install on the RH7.2. It's works as long as I don't go updating the kernel. I did that last time and the system stop booting up afterward. This driver supports RH7.1 to RH7.3 (so it said). I can't get it to work on RH7.3. :-[ :P :P

Ken