Thread: Sound setup help in Debian Woody.

Sound setup help in Debian Woody.

Well trying to figure just a couple little catches. No real big deals. Thing is sound is setup and works fine. I have KDE installed and also IceWM. The arts sound server works fine, but in order for it to start I have to start KDE first. If I boot up and start IceWM first, no sound. Is it possible to have arts start on boot up rather than just KDE startup? And does it have anything to do with the fact that at my initial install it told me that at KDE boot up the first time that /dev/dsp was missing. I ok'd past this error and things seem to work ok. And once I log into KDE and back out and into Ice after, sound is fine. (This is all for any sound at all, playing wavs, mp3s, using the cd player or even putting the cd in and hitting the play button. No sound what so ever)

On another note. I haven't done searches in the docs yet, but do you need gpm to have mouse support with lsdoom that is included with Woody. I've got it installed and it runs fine, got sound support, but have to configure the music server, I didn't load gpm and now find that the mouse is not available to lsdoom. And if I try to run lxdoom. it gives the error message can't open display [0,0]. Gonna do searches for this but wondered if anyone else have this? No biggie either way. My big thing this week is doing my first kernel recompile. Catch y'all in a few.

Re:Sound setup help in Debian Woody.

[quote author=cage47 link=board=2;threadid=4822;start=0#47980 date=1030995149]
    The arts sound server works fine, but in order for it to start I have to start KDE first. If I boot up and start IceWM first, no sound. Is it possible to have arts start on boot up rather than just KDE startup?
    [/quote]
    it should be possible
    try adding /path/to/ur/kde/installation/bin/artsd to your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file depending on what u use. i gotta tell ya though... it probably will start some extra KDE services it depends on so u might be better off with just running KDE. Or if you really wanna use IceWM u could try to run IceWM inside KDE. Look for your startkde script and then look for this part:

# finally, give the session control to the session manager
    # Syntax: ksmserver [--windowmanager <wm>]
    # if no windowmanager is specified, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
    # [--restore] should be controlled by kdm
    # kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
    kwrapper ksmserver || \
    xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Couldn't start ksmserver. Check your installation."
    so changing kwrapper ksmserver to kwrapper ksmserver --windowmanager /path/to/icewm should start IceWM as the KDE windowmanager.

if u can't find that part in your startkde script then you are running a butchered KDE version and u should blame ur distro for that.

BTW... the reason ur sound doesn't seem to work when u boot and first start IceWM instead of KDE is probably related to the fact that the sound volume is set too low. When u start KDE it will let Kmix set the volumes back to the specified settings. So starting kmix from within IceWM might fix that as well.

I thought about the starting IceWM in kde. That's an option but don't know if that's what I'll do.

As far as the volume. No. This is definite. The sound server isn't starting until KDE starts. even with volumes turned all the way up. no sound.

I'm thinking there should be away since in my Mandrake install this worked with a similar setup. KDE 2 with IceWm also. And at bootup there was sound even going into IceWM first.

[quote author=cage47 link=board=2;threadid=4822;start=0#47991 date=1030996570]
    As far as the volume. No. This is definite. The sound server isn't starting until KDE starts. even with volumes turned all the way up. no sound.
    [/quote]

have u actually tried running kmix after starting IceWM before loading KDE? cuz the arts soundserver doesn't have anything to do with the volumes. Kmix takes care of that. And once u log out of KDE arts gets closed as well so it's not like arts is still controlling your sound once u switched to icewm. i'm not talking about the volumes on your speakers or stereo btw... maybe u misunderstood me because of that.

No I understood completely. and that's what I meant. Even with kmix started in IceWM first. Even putting the sound all the way up, no go. That's why I made the mention about just putting the cd in and hitting the play button on the cd. This works independently of the software. As long as there is sound it goes straight from the cd to the sound card. But even this is a no go even thought it's configured right.

ok so let's say u boot into linux and u log into KDE. then u log out of KDE and into IceWM and the sound works according to you. if you do a 'ps aux' is artsd still listed among the running processes?

Sorry for the delay coming back to this. I had some other things to accomplish. I proceeded to compile a new 2.4.19 kernel, and while testing some stuff with the sound I totally buggered up sound in that kernel. It would really bug me to do another recompile when it was clean and fast but I was smart the last time (I compiled the new kernel twice before this one before I got it all set right) and saved the config to a file so If I buggered it up I could just load the config back and recompile the kernel. GOD I LOVE Linux!!! I also had to get blackdown's java. That works great to. For some reason the Mozilla 1.0 in Woody doesn't recognize the java 2 download from Netscape. Blackdown's runs fine. Anyway that's another story.

Back to the sound. I tried it a couple different ways. I tried booting into IceWM first. ran ps aux. no artsd listed. went into kde got sound, did ps aux and there's artsd. So went back to IceWM (like I am in now) and ps aux again, no artsd listed. BUT I have my sound in IceWM still. Like right now I'm listening to a cd. So once artsd loads sound is available. gonna try one more thing. get the artsd config line from kde and enter it in icewm and see what happens. I'll be back.

Oh, but just running the kmix doesn't get my sound to work. Tried that.

OK tried my last idea. I pulled the artsd config from the process manager while in kde. Rebooted and went into IceWM first. Ran the config, no sound, also ran kmix, no sound. (Though I did hear the little scratch on the speakers when artsd starts) Still no sound. Tried using cd player. So went into KDE. got sound, and cd player. Went back to Ice the sound is still there. This is annoying. not a big problem. but annoying. I can get around it but would like it clean so I can brag that it is as complete as my old Mandrake install. Well it's still better but for some things I need sound. So that and getting the mouse in Doom are my last two things to find fixes for.