Thread: Red Hat touts desktop Linux for enterprise users

Red Hat touts desktop Linux for enterprise users

I thought this was a good read from the Register.

Re:Red Hat touts desktop Linux for enterprise users

too bad they raped KDE by making it look like gnome and by letting it use Mozilla and Evolution instead of Konq and Kmail. They still have Konq and Kmail installed, but they are not the default programs for their task.

[me=Ralinx]wants to go urinate against the RedHat building[/me]

Hi Ralinx,
    I can see why many people get frustrated with RedHat, but IMO thay do a good job at what they they do, personally i don't care for a 'desktop environment' period. I do hope redhat or any linux distro for that matter can take a big ass bite out MS.

i'd like to see some company do that too, but by changing KDE in such a way that it is no longer as good as it normally would be is not the way to do it. this again sounds like sabotage to me. they don't change gnome for the worse, so they shouldn't do it to KDE either.

hmm .. i just cant understand why this is a bad thing (tm) .. cause if they want to make kde look like gnome so they are equally this is good - but not in the linux world cause we dont use software we use religions and holy things so if you pray to KDE the GNOME deity will get agressive and so on -- ts ts strange

[quote author=ch-b link=board=19;threadid=4820;start=0#48095 date=1031054499]
    hmm .. i just cant understand why this is a bad thing (tm) .. cause if they want to make kde look like gnome so they are equally this is good - but not in the linux world cause we dont use software we use religions and holy things so if you pray to KDE the GNOME deity will get agressive and so on -- ts ts strange
    [/quote]

no this is about intentionally reducing the quality a certain software package offers so that it would be more equal to another software package. i'm not just talking about how redhat made KDE look like gnome... they changed some internal parts of the KDE desktop for no good reason at all.

can u honestly give me a good explaination for why a distribution would intentionally offer a version of a software product that is of lesser quality than the normal one?

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=19;threadid=4820;start=0#48102 date=1031057374]
    can u honestly give me a good explaination for why a distribution would intentionally offer a version of a software product that is of lesser quality than the normal one?
    [/quote]

true - this is strange but to make them look euqally is not a bad idea, but if you just cripple it its not good ..