Thread: long time to boot linux

long time to boot linux

dear all,

I am new here and was refer to this site through a friend from Myanmar.

First question - WHy does it take a long time to boot linux when it says " booting up interface " .This problem was however solved accidently after leaving the modem on. It always dial and must dial if I ever want to use LInux Redhat 7.3. Is there any other way out of it.

Second question - How can I listen to my MP3 in my KDE and GNOME. For some reason, I am unable to listen to anything. I have this kewl interface with players but I am unable. I tried mouting from my cdrom, zip drive but to no avail.

Third question - Any one know of a good shell script tutorial sites dedicated to newbies. I have some problem and need some guidance.

Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you Linux experts here.

Re:long time to boot linux

Welcome police

Hopefully you'll find any info you need here.

First one. Have a look in your /etc/rc5.d (if you boot into X) or /etc/rc3.d (if you boot into the command line) see if there's a file called SxxPPP or SxxPPoP (I think) if so change it to something elseusing the "mv" command
    Code:
    mv S80PPP old.S80PPP
    I don't use dial up myself but I think that should do it (If not someone else will chirp in with the right command)

Second have you got XMMS (if you're a windows user think Winamp) installed? Can you play any other sound (like CD audio?) I can't tell wether it's a lack of coddecs or your sound card isn't working. A bit more info and I might be able to help more.

Third check out the PETs (there's a link at the top of the page) these are simple how-to's writen by members of this board, there's a couple of bash ones

HTH

Hi Pop,

I'll try your first tip first thing in the morning.

With regards to your second answer, I do not know if I have it. As I did a complte install. However, I do recall being able to play .mov files but not Mpeg nor AVI. Even Cd player does not work. I tried every program to see if sound would come but no luck. Wonder why ???

Thanks again for your reply again and yes this sites being most educational.

Cheers..

About you sound problem:
    I am not sure about redhat but in slackware you need to modify the permission of /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer before you will get any sound.
    Find out you current permissions by doing:

ls -l /dev/dsp
    and
    ls -l /dev/mixer

And if you need to change the permissions use the chmod command

Also these are a couple more Bash Scripting tutorials to look at:
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Progr...Scripting.html
    and
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Progr...eat_Sheet.html

Hope this helps.

Good Guru

IIRC RedHat does make you do the chmod on the sound devices. Hopeflly they fix that in a future release.

[quote author=pwrhouse link=board=1;threadid=4783;start=0#47657 date=1030736995]

And if you need to change the permissions use the chmod command

Also these are a couple more Bash Scripting tutorials to look at:
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Progr...Scripting.html
    and
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Progr...eat_Sheet.html

Hope this helps.
    [/quote]

hmm we need a bash programming ( scripting ) pet - im not really good at bash programming so anyone here who is up to help me so we can write some pets ?

hello,
    I have booted into my console and have found etc/rc rc5.d but I can't type anything. I can only see it. Furthermore, I can't find SxxPPP or SxxPPoP anymore in the list... I even tried ls -al. Thank u for the rest of you guys for the link.

Advisor

Could it be a color issue ??
    # ls -al --color=no /etc/rc.d/rc[35].d/S*

--edit--
    You might want to check for a S??isdn in there aswell..

About your sound, what sound card do you have? I've had trouble with RH7.3 and onboard sound. You might have to have a look at using ALSA (www.alsa-project.org)

I'm stumpped about you not being able to see anything in rc.d. Have you tried it as root?