Thread: Apache Tomcat

Apache Tomcat

Does anyone have tomcat running with apache? I only ask this because I need to get it running (I had to switch from Jserv) and cannot find any good docs on getting it running correctly. I have been all over the Jarkata project's website, but nothing seems to be written too clearly. What I am looking for is a simple howto (or not so simple) that says you must do X,Y and Z to get it running. All I'm finding so far are docs telling me about tomcat's guts. While this is all good info, right now I just want it to simply serve my apps.

Mentor

Re:Apache Tomcat

I got this working. Just download this file: http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jak...0.4-src.tar.gz
    Unpack it, and read the README.txt file in the webapp folder.

Good luck!

Thanks. I think my problem is that I'm using the rpm version and am having problems starting tomcat due to JAVA_HOME path (java gives me an error that it can't find libstdc++, or something like that). Two questions 1) Can I run tomcat as a standalone on the same box as Apache (I'm assuming all urls to it will have to point to 8080). 2) Can I build it from source and integrate it into Apache with the webbapps module if Apache was installed from an RPM?

In the past I had all my LAMP stuff compiled from source , and for ease of upgrades and patches, I reinstalled everything as an RPM. Not without problems however.

Mentor

I think the answer to both questions is yes. I had Apache installed from .debs. As a matter of fact tomcat will always run stand-alone, you just connect to it from Apache through webapp.

Thanks for the help cloverm The README.txt and BUILDING.txt were all the docs I needed.

It seemed that tomcat was dying because I needed the latest (release candidate) jdk. At least that's what got it running (the rpm would have also run on that, had I found this error earlier). I wound up using the pre-compiled binary, as building from source seemed a like an un-necessarliy long and painful task.

Another quick question. Do all my urls to my apps have to have be to http://my_meb_app:8080? Or can I simply point to apache on 80 like I did with JServ?

Mentor

If you want to connect to Tomcat without Apache you would use http://yourserver:8080/some/page.jsp. However, if you have webapp installed and setup for apache, you can also use http://yourserver/jsp/some/page.jsp. This assumes of course that you set up webapp in apache.conf with the "jsp" folder. You can name it anything you want to.

Cool. Thanks again. I'd rather do that. I'm assuming if I do that I'll only need to open port 80 at the firewall. Correct? Man am I full of questions today.

Mentor

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=4;threadid=4772;start=#47564 date=1030673977]
    Cool. Thanks again. I'd rather do that. I'm assuming if I do that I'll only need to open port 80 at the firewall. Correct? Man am I full of questions today.
    [/quote]

Correct.