Thread: Re: Packages included with Debian Woody

Hybrid View

Re: Packages included with Debian Woody

Just did some checking. after getting my Debian 3.0 rock solid. But can't seem to find a few things. The main thing is that I used CUPS and ghostscript in Mandrake to print in a couple programs to my Canon BJC-240. Now in Debian I am using CUPS and Gimp print. And though most programs print fine, my word perfect 8 can't use the postscript pass through printer. Well it can but after each job it spits out an extra page with some error messages. and a search can't find ghostscript anywhere on my 7 cd's, and apt-get doesn't show it either.
    Also, isn't LAME included? I was hoping to use it to convert wav's to mp3's. If it's not included what do other Debian users use to convert audio formats.
    Third: has anyone used the Doom packages in Debian. Have it in DOS but for other non-linux related issues can't use my dos version now. So wanna setup the linux version. I tried this in Potato with no success. Anyone have it running and what should I look out for? Other than these my Woody install tops my old Mandrake for speed/stability/usability

apt-cache search ghostscript | less will show a bunch of ghostscript stuff. gs and gs-common are among them.

I'm not sure about LAME. apt-cache search lame shows a few, but not sure if these are it. glame and toolame ??? Why not use OGG instead?

[quote author=Whiz link=board=2;threadid=4770;start=0#47452 date=1030627921]
    Why not use OGG instead?
    [/quote]

i agree
    encode wav files to ogg using -q 4 as the quality setting and ur files will sound better than 192kbps mp3s and they will be a lot smaller too

For some convoluted reasons I need to convert them to mp3 since that's the best format my cd burner software recognizes. It doesn't regonize ogg. (Don't ask it's too painful) Gut with ghostscript. thanks. I was looking for ghostscript not gs. But looking through 8000+ packages no wonder I missed the lame stuff.

I guess if you need LAME(if the other two aren't what you're looking for), you'll need to get the source and compile it yourself.
    It may be possible to use the version from Potato but not sure how it would work out. It may break things if you're not careful.