Thread: The best?

The best?

I was browsing another linux site (we won't mention which one, because has no bearing on this...) and I noticed an ad (mind you it was a google ad, so this site wasn't to blame....) for a site http://tryoutlinux.com/best.html

The tag line was which linux is best? Try out linux..... so I, being the nieve (did I spell that right?) linux user that I am decided I wanted to know which linux was best, and I clicked the link (like many of you have...)

Obviously, I was a bit bamboozled (yes, its a word... go look it up. I dare you!).

Linspire (which I've barely hear of in passing was mentioned as well as some other Distro's that I have never heard of. Granted, three of them were Mandrake, Redhat and SuSE. The only one of which I'd actually recommend to a friend is mandrake.

Is something wrong here?

Looks like a sales pitch for Linspire. It also says that the average installation time for Linspire is 7 minutes (ghosted image?).

There's a section waaaay at the bottom of the page that states: Below are some of the other better-known Linux distributions, but some of these are typically not for the average computer user, and will require a fair amount of knowledge of Linux, command line instructions, etc.

That's where the links are to gentoo, debian, and slackware.

There are so many "paid" distros going after the "windows convert" market.

Saw an article on TheRegister:

Microsoft is taking Linspire to court again, despite the name change from Lindows. "The software giant is taking action in the Dutch courts, where it won its previous case, claiming that the word Lindows is still appearing on Linspire's website. A decision is expected by the end of this month. Michael Robertson, chief executive of Linspire, said: "Microsoft is continuing the bullying tactics which have obliterated competition over the last 20 years...Its recent actions demonstrate that it has not reformed, but continues to be one of the world's worst corporate citizens that will do anything to squash competitors that threaten its monopoly profits."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05...inspire_court/

Here's the link to the article, for clarity.