Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Play MP3, pay a fee
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Play MP3, pay a fee

Play MP3, pay a fee

Re:Play MP3, pay a fee

Shouldn't that be "Write an MP3 player, distribute binaries, pay a fee". If I understand things correctly, you should still be able to get your favourite mp3 decoder as source code (like with the lame encoder).

[quote author=pam link=board=13;threadid=4754;start=0#47291 date=1030537573]
    If I understand things correctly, you should still be able to get your favourite mp3 decoder as source code (like with the lame encoder).
    [/quote]

yea and how many windows users are gonna compile it themselves?
    everybody is gonna switch to ogg now

Ogg rules

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=13;threadid=4754;start=0#47295 date=1030540653]
    Ogg rules
    [/quote]

Stated so simple and yet so true..

I just wish I hadn't shelled out for the Archos Recorder 10 MP3 player a few weeks ago.... I should have waited for a decent oggman to hit the market.

This is great for Ogg and all, but what I'm choked about is that there isn't much support for the ogg format yet. When was the last time you were down at your local Future Shop and saw Ogg players by Sony? Most people in the world aren't even aware that ogg exists. In order for it to catch on, software like winamp has to cost something. Then people will seriously start looking at alternatives. What concerns me most is the presence of the wmv format. The battle for the new standard (provided a switch happens) will be between ogg and wmv, and wmvs are a hell of a lot more common than ogg at the moment.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=4754;start=0#47305 date=1030550078]
    What concerns me most is the presence of the wmv format. The battle for the new standard (provided a switch happens) will be between ogg and wmv, and wmvs are a hell of a lot more common than ogg at the moment.
    [/quote]

yea i'm affraid of that as well. but doesn't wmv use some sort of digital rights management already? at least it's pretty sure it will have DRM in the future so i think that will seriously improve ogg's chances over wmv. at least in the warez scene and that's what i care about when it comes to music files

I think mp3's are here to stay. Which of us is going to pay anything for a player? (not a single one of us) The warez community will make sure of that. I dont think these guys are after us, they want the $ from Microsoft, Redhat, etc.... Just think about $ .75 for every OS sold. WOW! In the future linux OS's will not include a player (except the ones purchased from the OS manufacturer)---again that is not a problem for anyone here. They know they cant contol us, after all thier product is used mostly to play ILLEGAL mp3s (yes, yes some are legal---NOT my point)

Regardless of this, I may change to ogg just for fun

Good Guru

Lovechild I hear you :: I just replaced a crap Iomega HipZip with a Rio 800, and I LOVE the unit, but there is no ogg support that I know of. Perhaps I can find out from one of the developers has any inside words to shine a ray of hope upon me.

[quote author=flashingcurser link=board=13;threadid=4754;start=0#47337 date=1030558140]
    I think mp3's are here to stay. Which of us is going to pay anything for a player? (not a single one of us) The warez community will make sure of that.
    [/quote]

of course there will be illegal mp3 software players but i'm really hoping the mp3 warez community will switch to ogg vorbis now... it would be better for everyone: less bandwith wasted and higher qualities.