Thread: Linux Half-Life

Linux Half-Life

'k, I know that HL will run under linux using wine, but most everywhere refers to winex. Can I get it running with wine rather than winex?

I can't get winex as I only have a modem at home (too slow) and no credit card. (can't pay for it)

This isn't of major importance, I could just keep using Wintendo, but it'd be nice to play it under linux.

TIA.

Good Guru

Re:Linux Half-Life

Could try plain vanilla wine, or Codeweaver's Wine. They are both free. Codewaever's may give you some better results. I got a subscription to WineX, so I use that primarily. It works pretty damn well. But I will say, that Codeweavers is pretty nice too.

I dont personally own HalfLife, but it may work out okay.

Thanks. I've already got the source for vanilla wine, so I'll try that first and give codeweavers a go if it doesn't work.

DUDE!!!!! Just CVS WineX!!! I'm using a modem, but it only took max an hour to download it! Then, just an easy compile and ur ready to roll! I even ran halflife, except, I havent been able to get my NVIDIA drivers working, so winex is pretty useless for me, but u should try it.
    -CJ

Good Guru

I currently subscribe to WineX They have gotten what ... 60 bucks out of me sofar? Nah 45 -- they are coming due for another payment soon though. Any way, I also own several nVIDIA cards -- what do you need help with? basically to ensure that stuff works download the two tarballs, GLX and kernel, and starting with the Kernel, install both. Before doing anything else -- modifiy your XF86Config to use the nividia driver and not to use DRI and glcore.

Code:
    f you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
    (such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
    the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
        (or Driver "vesa")

with 

Driver "nvidia"  

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load  "dri"
            Load  "GLcore"
    I grabbed this snippet from nVIDIA's website.

WineX should use the X server for all work. Plus extra enhancements are made when the WineX daemon is loaded (whic may already be loaded under "wine" daemon)

HTH.

schotty, did u take a look at my thread in troubleshooting related to this? take a look if u can...we seem to be stumped...but im gonna try this too
    -CJ

Good Guru

Sure. Ill post whatever I can come up with in there

Had a go with vanilla wine, not got it working yet. I seem to be having some sort of issue whereby whenever it tries to make a sound it hangs.

I tried installing / running m$ office and that seemed to work ok. I'll have another hack around with it tomorrow, and see what can come up with.

I d'loaded the latest NVidia drivers and they seem to be working fine, so graphics hopefully will not be a problem.

(edited to include afterthought about NVidia)

Good Guru

I read a nifty article last week at LinuxOrbit, run by the almighty GonzoJohn (hes a cool dude). It basically added a new insight to some wine issues I have had in the past. When the thing hangs up, it is usually a graphics issue. ty running X in 16 bpp mode. And do make sure to add in EVERY resolution (the default can be whatever you like, thats actually irrelevant to wine) to the X config file for every bpp. This way, if you want you can play the game at fullscreen in the native res. The reason I say use 16 bpp, is that alot of games need to use 16 bits to startup, but once in the game switch to 32 (or whatever you specified).

try that. Then lets worry about little shit that posps up. Supposedly he had even more success getting stuff to work than I did. I tried the hacks that he mentioned, and it improved. But the most drastic was the proper X config. That is really where the problem was. Plus make damn well sure that you have proper 3D acceleration in X. without making sure of that, you are asking for an assload of problems.