Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Hello & running a command when xsession is closed

Thread: Hello & running a command when xsession is closed

Hello & running a command when xsession is closed

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board. I have been using linux from time to time those two last years. I had to switch back to windows for various businesses but I'm now back to slackware and fine tuning it.

Here is a question:
    I would like a command (clear and then logout) to be run when user exits the xsession (by the user menu and maybe by ctrl altt backspace).
    I tried adding them to the xinit file but it is obviously not the right way. It has no effect.

It would complement a startx put in .bashrc and so replace xdm/gdm.

Thanks in advance,
    P.

Good Guru

Re:Hello & running a command when xsession is closed

Welcome aboard!

I didnt know to be quite hones until I googled this and found this article :

Link
    Code:
    Create a logout script that runs commands when you log out. For example, you might want to back up critical work and delete unwanted files.

# Delete all core files.
    find ~ -name 'core' -exec rm\{\} \;
    # Delete all emacs backup files.
    find ~ -name '*~' -exec rm \{\} \;
    # Make a tar file of the "working"
    # directory and save it in "tmp".
    # First remove yesterday's tar.
    rm ~/tmp/working.tar
    tar cf ~/tmp/working.tar ~/working

C-shell and tc-shell users put the commands in the file ~/.logout. Bash shell users put the commands in the file ~/.bash_logout. Bourne and Korn shell users use the following steps to create a logout script.

1. Create a file in your home directory called .logout that contains commands you want executed when logging out.
       2. Mark the file as executable.

chmod u+x ~/.logout

3. Add the following line to the ~/.profile file.

trap "~/.logout" 0
    Let me know if this applies or not.

Thx for the answer! However this is not really what I'm looking for. I need to run a script or just the plain logout command when I exit X; not running a script at logout.

Anyway, I appreciate your help. This is not a critical issue but I will keep looking ...

Cheers,
    Pierre

I just found that I should put the commands at the end of the startx file. Problem is now that 'exit' exits the script rather than exiting the bash session. Logout is not accepted either ...

P.

Got it working! I added this to .bashrc:

if [ `tty` == /dev/tty1 ]; then
    startx -- -nolisten tcp
    clear
    logout
    fi

This way, just after entering my password I go in X and I logout on a clean console when I exit X.

P.