Thread: webcams on linux

webcams on linux

Hi,

does anyone know of a good webcam, preferably under $100, that works on RH Linux?

thanx,

Re:webcams on linux

hello,
    i think the IBM webcam works well under linxu and is pretty cheap.

http://www.webcaminfo.com/review-ibmcam.shtml
    http://www.linux-usb.org/ibmcam/

I bough mine for $10 at Best Buy and it works using the OV511 driver. It is an Ezonics webcam. Quality s not great, but you can't ask for more for $10.

Good Guru

As pbharris mentioned -- the IBM ones work. I got the cheaper one ant it works on the Xircam driver.

While we are on the subject. What is a good app or webtool for a webcam for someone to access through the net. I dont mean like netmeeting but like something like webcam streamer... or pic updater...

Mentor

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=3;threadid=4615;start=#46603 date=1029986115]
    While we are on the subject. What is a good app or webtool for a webcam for someone to access through the net. I dont mean like netmeeting but like something like webcam streamer... or pic updater...
    [/quote]

All you need is the program called "webcam" and the command-line ftp program. There is a good NHF about this on LNO: http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Hardw...sy_Webcam.html

Has anyone tried to get an IBM Cam to work right with Debian? I have two boxes and the IBM Cam makes my system freeze. I have stup the cam in Slack and Mandrake and it works good but this IBM cam for some reason dosent work on my Debian boxes.

Good Guru

are you sure your usb is setup properly in the Debian system? I havent had an issue in RedHat or SuSE.

I'm pretty sure it is. The cam comes up in dmesg so I'm not sure what could be wrong...

Good Guru

what modules are you loading on your debian box? IIRC I just needed the usual USB module and the Xircam module, or ibm-xircam module (forget the actual name)