Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with SuSE?

Whats wrong with SuSE?

Is there any reason why there are so few people that use SuSE around these linux communities? Being new and all, they have a great package manager that automatically looks for dependancies and such, and i'm satisfied with its auto-hardware detection. What are your guy's thoughts? :roll:

I haven't tried SuSE in a while. When I did, I found their package manager (Yast) to be a bit peculiar. It seemed to show some promise though, so I don't know about the current versions.

Can anyone answer whether SuSE is based on RedHat, or what? I always thought of SuSE as one of the original distro types like Debian, or Slackware...
    Steve

SuSE was one of the originals, along with Slackware, RedHat, and Debian. Theirs was a German-based Linux Distro with full desktop support. I haven't used it or seen it installed for a few years. The last time I used it was in a scientific data-gathering project.

Associate
    I tried SuSE briefly - I had a dependency problem with YaST the first night I installed it which I didn't enjoy. I got Gentoo installed that night and haven't looked back. SuSE seemed nicely polished if my one night of use gives me any right to comment.

Was just curious as to why some so few people use SuSE compared to some other distros :|

Associate
    I think the FTP installation turns some people off as well. I'm assuming they're still doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ions
    I think the FTP installation turns some people off as well. I'm assuming they're still doing that.
    yeah - and I've always found it a real pain to get working in the past.

Plus, you really need a good internet connection or you'll be there for weeks! Thats a real off-putter to those with slow internet connections.

Jamie

I personally have begun to steer away from the cookie cutter distros in favor of Gentoo (all compiled from source, only with what I specifically tell it to install, I LOVE IT!)

See this http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/...id=143&tid=187 slashdot article. they bring up some good points.

I use SuSE. Started out with 8.2 which was good. I'm less impressed with 9.0 though - it doesn't seem anywhere near as polished.

I agree with the comments about YaST - it is a bit odd and unintuitive in parts - Mandrake's equivalent appeared much better when I tried it briefly.