Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no screens found

no screens found

I realize that I may not be posting enough info for an answer right away, but I have been doing searches about this problem and not really finding any real answers.

I am building a new system and have purchased a GeForce4 PCI card. When running xf86config, I have tried choosing the nvidia GeForce selection, and also just a "generic VGA" selection. Both still give me the "no screens found" error when I try to startx. Is the problem with the video card, or I was also reading that not choosing proper monitor settings will also cause this error? But I have the manual for the monitor and think I am choosing the right things there... ???

I'm not necessarily looking for an answer (though that would be super), but more of a list of things to check out so I can fix this problem Oh I am running Slack 8.0 if that makes a difference.

Re:no screens found

hmm if you have already made an XF86Config you could post it here - so it would be easier to help you - else you could try to make a new one with
    xf86config

/etc/X11/XF86Config should be the file ..

I'm on my Win98 box right now, so cutting-and-pasting the config file isn't that simple, but I will try to show you the monitor and card configurations as well as the error message I get when I startx. Hopefully that will be ok...

in XF86Config:
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "MAG19"
    HorizSync 31-80
    VertRefresh 60-100
    End Section

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Standard VGA"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    BoardName "Unknown"
    Driver "vga"
    End Section

Section "Device"
    Identifier "GeForce4MX420"
    Driver "nv"
    #VideoRam 65536
    End Section

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "GeForce4MX420"
    Monitor "MAG19"
    DefaultDepth 24

** some subsections on Displays...they are all defaults, I didn't mess with them **

End Section

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    End Section
    And here is the error I get from startx:
    (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:09:0
    (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
    (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    looking above that, it seems as if the "nv" driver does not support the GeForce4 cards. If this is the case (which I now think it is), where do I get updated drivers from? (the box the card came in claimed "complete Linux display and OpenGL drivers support&quot and how do I properly install these drivers to allow this card to work?

Thanks for reading such a long post and helping me with this basic question

You could try the nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com, and follow the readme

wow...*whap self repeatedly*...this is what happens when you sit in front of something for too long...the obvious answer sits right in front of your nose and gets ignored.

*flogs self with wet noodle*

thanks for the link

Okay...I got the files I needed but am running into problems with the make install on the kernel module. I have read the README but don't quite understand what they are talking about...again I am running Slack 8.0, kernel 2.2.19. I got the tarball file (not the rpm) and when I did the make install, I got these errors

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol __global_cli
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol tqueue_lock
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol __global_save_flags
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol __global_restore_flags
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver failed
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver failed
    make: *** [package-install] Error 255
    The README file says
    If you receive errors about unresolved symbols, then the kernel module has most likely been built using header files for a different kernel revision than what you are running. You can explicitly control what kernel header files are used by building NVdriver from the NVIDIA_kernel tar file with: 'make install SYSINCLUDE=/path/to/kernel/headers'.
    Okay...where would I even begin to look for these kernel headers? When I try to include /usr/src/linux-2.2.19/kernel in the make install, it dumps right out, refusing to do the make. Does this require a kernel upgrade or recompile?

Thanks in advance

Mentor

Just configure the kernel and do a make dep. I think that will do it.
    CP

hello,
    i usually need to make link in /usr/include called linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ . if /usr/include/linux alredy exists i rename it.e.g.
    mv /usr/include/linux /usr/include/old_sys_headers
    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux

[quote author=pbharris link=board=6;threadid=4722;start=0#47027 date=1030329853]
    hello,
    i usually need to make link in /usr/include called linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ . if /usr/include/linux alredy exists i rename it.e.g.
    mv /usr/include/linux /usr/include/old_sys_headers
    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux

[/quote]

I tried that and got the same errors/results...thanks for the advice though!

CP, what/how do you configure the kernel? Are there certain things that need to be included in that? Thanks in advance...

Nevermind the last message...I fixed the problem simply by compiling kernel 2.4.5. Now I can startx with no problems, but when KDE starts up, the resolution is really huge. I only see the top left quadrant of the "screen" (i.e. 75% of the desktop is off the screen). I assume this is something in my XF86Config file, and I will mess with it tomorrow...but thanks again for all the advice and help