Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

hard drive write cache

Thread: hard drive write cache

hard drive write cache

In a thread on /. there was a mention of "write cache=enabled" potentialy leading to data loss/corruption when used in conjunction with journaled file systems.

I have done some quick research on the web to verify this issue and indeed it is a known problem.

Do any of you know how to disable this feature on the HD?

My first thought was hdparm but that does not seem to cover "write cache"

Mike
    NOBODY reads my email
    then who would want to anyway

Oops, I think i found it in HDPARM after all. It seems to be the -W option.

Mike
    NOBODY reads my email

Where did you find this additional info? Which distros? which FS's? in particular ext3? and then to make permenant it'll have to go in the /rc.local right?
    Thnx!

more info. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sfstk8d
    Where did you find this additional info? Which distros? which FS's? in particular ext3? and then to make permenant it'll have to go in the /rc.local right?
    Thnx!
    It applies onle to the FS and is not related to the distro. It appears to be a hardware feature that any version of the linux/bsd kernel does not deal with properly under certain situations. It is only related to journaled FS's. JFS, Reiser, Ext3 etc. . .

As far as running the hdparm option at every boot. . .I just dont know. I havent gotten that far, but I am pretty sure that hdparm -W is the way to make the change.

Additionally, after speaking with some other JFS users I am less concerned now than I was before. I think if this was a major problem, there would be much more talk about it than there is. After all, JFS's have been around for many years and this issue has not seemd to make front page news. So I am guessing that the effects are rarely seen.

So I have decided that at least for now, for my production machines, they are not broke so I aint gonna fix em.

Regards

Mike
    NOBODY reads my email