Thread: Connecting USB Cable to Motherboard

Connecting USB Cable to Motherboard

Since I am having issues with my webcam... I decided to install the usb cable on my mother board. Maybe using the mobo's usb it will work.

I've pluged the cable in the usb pins on my mobo but I can't get it to work. There is like two lines of 6 pins(I think) and the usb cable has like 4 pin receptors(I think). I have an Asus mobo. Currently I am at work so I can't give you the exact number of pins. Can someone help me out with this.

Re:Connecting USB Cable to Motherboard

Hello,
    USB has 4 pins - two for power (gnd + some line for volatge & current) plus two lines for data (data+ and data-), data is sent in a differential stream using a bunch of encoding stuff we don't need to worry about for this.

my USB ports on my main board work fine, but then so do the ones that have a cable attached to the ones taht are on my mb. do you have an extra USB board ? if so i would go with the ones onboard the MB.

when you get it hooked up and you issue a usbview then at a minimum and unknown device should show up in the usbview window.

I finally found the mobo manual.. The deal is that Asus sells a special USBMIR cable with is a USB/iRda/PS/2 adapter and I guess a generic mobo usb cable wont work...

I finally found the mobo manual.. The deal is that Asus sells a special USBMIR cable with is a USB/iRda/PS/2 adapter and I guess a generic mobo usb cable wont work...
    Sure it will. ;D Only problem is you have to push a few of those contacts out of the berg connector, and put them in the right place. :P

Last time I did something similar to that I almost burn my dorm. Not really but my mouse started to smoke and the usb cables almost melted... Luckly....My $40 mouse still works and so does that computer. It is now my server. I don't think I'll do that althought I was tempted to do so last night.