Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nameserver

nameserver

I'm trying to set up an nameserver I get the nameserver up and running and get the PTR correct, but I still have some questions though.
    is it a requirment to have 2 nameservers ? or can I just have 1 since the domain will be pretty small 3 subdomains only.
    another question can the namerserver reside on 192.168.. i.e the internel ip or does it have to be on the externel ip that I have reverse and regualar.
    I'm using bind 4 on openbsd.

Re:nameserver

You could probably get away with one, though i don't know if the internet powers that be have any sepcific regulations about this. I use 2 even on small domains, just for fault tolerance purposes (really just incase I need to take a box down). Right now I have 4 nameservers for a 150+ node domain--2 win2k boxes for internal AD purposes, and 2 BNID boxes on my DMZ. As for using a private IP address, you should be able to use them so long as your firewall or router accepts and forwards packets for that box. All of my nameservers sit within a private range, but can be reached at an few different ips bound to my firewall's external NIC.

ok thnx for the quick answer.
    another question, my resolv.conf get's overwritten all the time I'm thinking it might be the dhclinet I have read the man page for it but can't really find any explanation.

Advisor

Depends on what tyoe of domain it is, .com/.net/.org only requires one nameserver, where .dk domains requires two zone C approved nameservers.

You have to figure it out with the domain registrants.

anyone ever set up an namesrver with a dynamic external ip or does it even affect the nameserver ?

I am just bought my own domain and I have learn a tiny bit of name servers but I would like to learn more and maybe even setup my own name server. Can someone recommend a url and or a good book on the subject?

Advisor

Oreillys DNS and BIND. (can't remember the ISBN on it)

And Mor_gath, your DNS must reside on a static IP.. The root servers must know how to contact it direct on its IP.. Thus they can't handle the changes of IP's from one minut till the next, thats why you get the notice, when you delegate domains, that it might take upto 3 days befor the changes takes effect.

could you reg a dydns host and have that as the static ip ?

Good Guru

If your IP is dynamic, why you even bother running BIND?? Just use the dyndns for the service.

can getter better structure if I could use a domain instead of dyndns.