Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music

Music

There is a band who is interested in me and wants me to play lead guitar stuff or bass. They are getting well known, are good musicians, have their own studio for recording, and are seriouis about there stuff. The problem is that they need someone who can leave on tour on spur of the moment notice (as far as tours go ...) and they are thinking about touring with some big bands through Europe soon. I'm kind of torn between giving it a go and putting school on hold OR saying "No thats ok, I need to stay in school!"

Thoughts?

Good Guru

Re:Music

To me, School can never wait. When you get older, it's harder to go back to school and maintain it if it's not impossible. Trust me, I've been there.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=14;threadid=4659;start=0#46485 date=1029903641]
    There is a band who is interested in me and wants me to play lead guitar stuff or bass. They are getting well known, are good musicians, have their own studio for recording, and are seriouis about there stuff. The problem is that they need someone who can leave on tour on spur of the moment notice (as far as tours go ...) and they are thinking about touring with some big bands through Europe soon. I'm kind of torn between giving it a go and putting school on hold OR saying "No thats ok, I need to stay in school!"

Thoughts?
    [/quote]HAVE YOU COMPLETELY LOST YOUR GODDAMNED MIND?!?!?!?! Sorry, I'm reacting like a typical 55 year old father would if one of my kids came to me with that..
    My personal view would be to look at your prorities and your resources. Where do you want to be when you're my age; living a rather boring life that's stable and predictable, or still at the stage where it's a one day at a time existence- real good today but terrible tomorrow (that's not a bad thing, but it sure is stressful.) How about your own abilities; ARE you good enough to live off your talent? Don't say yes unless you're sure; you're not trying to convince me, your dealing with yourself.
    Having declined an opportunity to go to school on a full scholarsrship when I was 22, I'm rather biased toward school, but this is just my P.O.V; your choice is your own, but make sure you're ready to live with the consequences, for good or ill.

Good Guru

I would go on tour only if you can get a promise to allow you to sill take classes. Even if its one at a time. You need to always have a backup plan in place. If you dont go into the military, you may never see the world, and getting to Europe will be worth it. Live life while you still can. But play the game of life smart, and dont take things for granted.

Close your eyes.... now what does your heart say ?

Well, I was in a similar position roughly 13 years ago. As I had continued
    playing in local bands while going to college, college pre-req's continued
    to get more and more boring.... I felt like I really wasn't learning much at
    school and the music was looking more and more promising. I ended up
    dropping out of school and pursuing music full time within the end of the
    school year. It wasn't the worst of mistakes as I ended up with a couple
    of contracts and made several albums/cd's in my music career and know
    several well-known musicians. However, as a signed act, you are far
    more of a zero on the nat'l/internat'l music scene than you are at a local/
    state level. The pay sux when looked at on a annual level, and doesn't
    get any better unless you get a *ton* of airplay (as pushed by a major
    label). As the lifestyle went, plan to be on the road ~300 days a year
    and have no social life outside of being with your bandmates 24/7. The
    touring bands I played with couldn't handle each other 24/7 and ended
    up breaking up within 6 months.... my milage varied in later bands and
    professional/maturity levels.

I am know in my early 30's with a family to support, without a college degree.
    I could finish my degree easily enough,but that would require me to have
    non-existant time with my family for a year or two (a sacrifice I am unwilling
    to make). I have good employment most of the time, but things would likely
    be considerably better if I had my degree and offer more advancement.

I don't necessarily regret the decision I made, but music would still be there
    today for me if I wanted and it would still be there if I had finished my degree.
    I wish you the best with your choice!

~Lynn

Mentor

[quote author=Guitarlynn link=board=14;threadid=4659;start=0#46548 date=1029947678]

I don't necessarily regret the decision I made, but music would still be there
    today for me if I wanted and it would still be there if I had finished my degree.
    I wish you the best with your choice!

~Lynn
    [/quote]

yea but you took the chance at it and it didnt get you famous but at least you gave it a shot.

I would rather have tried something and failed then never tried it at all and wonder your whole life if you could have succeded at it. Thats my 2 cents.

[quote author=Charles Dexter Ward link=board=14;threadid=4659;start=0#46538 date=1029942515]
    How about your own abilities; ARE you good enough to live off your talent? Don't say yes unless you're sure; you're not trying to convince me, your dealing with yourself.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I am, and in fact I've been invited to play places by myself with guitar work through Australia and in some pretty good palces in the US and had some of my music in some underground zines a few years back.

Thats some really good advice!

Ya know, there are online colleges for this basic purpose.

Kind Mastermind

Hey, Ash, what kind of contract would they provide to you? Does it have a time limit? Anyway, can you afford to take six months or a year off? If so, then by all means take the time and pursue the music. How far away from completeing your degree are you? If you are close to finishing and you know that other good opportunities will come along, then finish school. It really is a six of one, half a dozen of the other kind of thing. Just listen to your heart. Pray, if that's your thing.

Best of luck!

Cheers