Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Redhat 7.3 boot splash screen

Thread: Redhat 7.3 boot splash screen

Hybrid View

Redhat 7.3 boot splash screen

Is there a way i can change the lilo boot splash screen, the default one is really crappy.

In Mandrake there was a dir called bootsplash where one could chane the jpg pic to have a different boot screen, but i cannot find it in the RH distro. I have searched Google for an answer, but most of the searches produced stuuf related to either SuSe or mandrake.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Good Guru

Re:Redhat 7.3 boot splash screen

/boot/grub has all of grub's stuff in it. There is a asplash xpm tarball that has the image in it.

[quote author=ShadowMan link=board=7;threadid=4645;start=0#46428 date=1029879270]
    /boot/grub has all of grub's stuff in it. There is a asplash xpm tarball that has the image in it.
    [/quote]

ShadowMan, thanks for the reply, but i'm not using grub, i'm using lilo.

Cheers
    LiNuts

Advisor

Change the message setting in your /etc/lilo.conf to point to the picture you want..
    It's a 320x200pxl in 72x72dpi XPM image.. Just make your own, and point the lilo setting to that.

[quote author=redhead link=board=7;threadid=4645;start=0#46515 date=1029923971]
    Change the message setting in your /etc/lilo.conf to point to the picture you want..
    It's a 320x200pxl in 72x72dpi XPM image.. Just make your own, and point the lilo setting to that.
    [/quote]

redhead, dont tell me its that easy, is it ??, do i have to run mkinitrd or anything, or just do /sbin.lilo.

The reason i ask, is that i tried to use an animated boot splash that i downloaded, and had to run /sbin/lilo -v for it to work, ( It didn't, and it stuffed my lilo up ).

So I create a xpm pic with the dimensions you said, copy it to /boot/message2 (or something like that) and edit lilo.conf to point to message2 instead of message. Then what command do i give lilo to recognise it. (/sbin.lilo -v ?)
    Cheers
    LiNuts
    edit: No wonder my bootsplash looks crappy if it is only 320x200 it fills the screen and looks jagged.

Advisor

I have no knowledge of how, wether if an animated bootspalsh will work..
    But basicaly yes, just run /sbin/lilo -v after setting it up.. If it complains, then either the image dosn't follow the guidelines, or it dosn't understand how to show it.

O.K. I have a new boot splash screen, Thanks to all for the help, I did as redhead suggested, the only thing was i had to use indexed colours not rgb, and i just re-ran /sbin/lilo (not -v) and rebooted with a new splash screen.
    Cheers
    LiNuts