Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Impressed by SuSE 8.0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressed by SuSE 8.0

Mentor

Impressed by SuSE 8.0

I was looking for a distro to install for my Dad to convert him from the Windows world. Obviously, I was looking for the most newbie-friendly one. I've never used any previous SuSE versions, so I had now idea what to expect. I was impressed from the beginning. Very simple to install and set-up, very nice looking graphics. YaST is some powerful stuff, let me tell you. Got a very decent package management system that I really like.
    Too bad they don't offer a downloadable iso image, but you can install it through FTP, but that would be a little too complicated for a newbie. But I think the $40 for the personal edition is well worth it.
    I won't abandon my Libranet system, too used to apt. But if anyone asks me what distro I'd suggest for a newbie, I'd say SuSe 8.0.

Re:Impressed by SuSE 8.0

i think Linux is excellent for people who don't have too much computer experience like parents for instance. all u gotta do is install it, configure it, and don't give them the root password and everything should work and keep working

too bad my parents' box is too slow for KDE.. otherwise they'd be using linux as well

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4622;start=0#46228 date=1029724505]
    i think Linux is excellent for people who don't have too much computer experience like parents for instance. all u gotta do is install it, configure it, and don't give them the root password and everything should work and keep working

too bad my parents' box is too slow for KDE.. otherwise they'd be using linux as well
    [/quote]

Why not set them up with XFce? It is a great little DE and light on the resources.

[quote author=cga link=board=7;threadid=4622;start=0#46319 date=1029801735]
    Why not set them up with XFce? It is a great little DE and light on the resources.
    [/quote]

that's a good point actually.. i hadn't thought about that yet. but i'd have to put some form of Ralinux on it though to make konq run pretty good. maybe i'll do it when i'm really bored sometime

Werd!

Good Guru

Ralinx -- what if they wanna install? They need the root password. Just make them use KDE or GNOME. Then when they try to run gnorpm or whatever to add a package, they can. Compiling I wouldn't be all so hot on. but RPMS and debs are about as easy as it can get.

[quote author=ShadowMan link=board=7;threadid=4622;start=0#46430 date=1029880045]
    Ralinx -- what if they wanna install? They need the root password.
    [/quote]

personally i'd install everything they need in advance... and if they really need to install something new i'd do it. but i don't think i'd give them the root pass

Suse has spoiled me, but I do miss Slackware

I am a SuSE user too and for the most part just love it. Right now, i'm a little irritated about not being able to update to kde 3.0.3.......

???

Lucyjean

I agree on all these posts. SuSE 8.0 has to be one of the best "as USER-FRIENDLY as they get" Linux distros. I have to say, it's also good for a more experienced user. Great for if you want to setup a system quick, and get it ready to go as a server of some sort. The only thing I didn't like about it was SuSE's built-in Firewall. Didn't even have the option for "advanced" configuration. It's good if you are using it in a independent system evironment, but not so good for a network. (The firewall that is)