Thread: Webserver on dynamic IP

Webserver on dynamic IP

My website is at http://gabe.mine.nu. I have a dynamic IP and I am using DynDNS.org I am thinking of buying a domain and trying to use it instead of gabe.mine.nu.

Now i dont want ny new domain to point to gabe.mine.nu

If this is possible what whould I have to do?

Re:Webserver on dynamic IP

Check out www.everydns.net free static and dynamic IP service .... but don't forget to give a donation (I use it, it's great!)

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=4;threadid=4604;start=0#46118 date=1029635567]
    Check out www.everydns.net free static and dynamic IP service .... but don't forget to give a donation (I use it, it's great!)
    [/quote]

isn't that basically the same as dyndns.org?

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=4;threadid=4604;start=0#46121 date=1029635875]
    isn't that basically the same as dyndns.org?
    [/quote]

Pretty much but it resolves your box to a hostname (like http://www.nwsupplies.com resolves to my personal boxen). They also allow for webhops, and diffrent records for smtp setup and other cool stuff.

The diffrence might just be between having a blah.dyndns.org address or your own personal domain address.

So everydns.net points your domain to your box.. So you have a dynamic ip?

Is there anyother way to do this without using one of these tools.. Now what if I am like behind a firewall? Would the tool still work

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=4;threadid=4604;start=0#46146 date=1029639859]
    Now what if I am like behind a firewall? Would the tool still work
    [/quote]
    As long as the IP is accessable from the outside ( thus you have to configure your firewall to allow access to your web server ), this will work.

Otherwise, NO.

What am I am trying to ask is if the tool that updates my ip will work being that I am masquerading my ip through the firewall..

Advisor

The IP send from you to the DNS update, will appear to be the external one on the firewall, since it masq your internal IP.
    Thus it will be the external accessible one displayed, eventho when connections are made on port 80 to it, the firewall sends the request to your internal IP.

Same thing with my server, externaly it appears to be 194.182.238.22, but it's own interface has an IP of 172.16.0.122, since the firewall it is behind maps the .22 ip in it's range to an internal .122 ip for security reasons.

Ok well I've bought the domain.... http://esclavosoy.com I might use it instead of gabe.mine.nu or maybe have both domains point to the same machine. I'm sure I will learn something with owning and messing around with this domain.

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=4;threadid=4604;start=0#46152 date=1029642659]
    What am I am trying to ask is if the tool that updates my ip will work being that I am masquerading my ip through the firewall..
    [/quote]

Well, your external connection (firewall) will need to update the ip if done
    automatically and portfw to the proper internal server. One thing to keep in
    mind is that most firewalls (the ones I set up anyway) have ipspoofing
    protection on the external ip address, so you would not be able to access
    the server with the external ip address from any of the internal clients
    since they would have the external ip address with the masq'ing.