Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RealPlayer 8 G2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RealPlayer 8 G2

RealPlayer 8 G2

??? Hiya readers,

So i'm wondering if anyone else has had a sound problem with rp8 before? I've installed on my desktop box and it performed flawlessly but on my laptop Dell Inspiron 2650 ;D It will play video but not sound. When i try to play just a real audio file it claims "Can't open audio device. Another application may be using it." Well i when into ksysguard and made sure ntohing remotely was using my sound. (quick question how do i know what daemon is using my sound card ...ie; ESD or some other service.) So i've flipped through the rp8 community pages and turned up ziltch this is my last ditch effort. So any advice out there? I need my cnn, and bbc live reports for the news :

Re:RealPlayer 8 G2

hello,
    ps -e will tell ya if esd or arts is running, i think kde uses arts...
    rp8 works fine for me. what does ls -l /dev/dsp give ya?

when i ls -l /dev/dsp bash returns "crw------- 1 exotic root 14, 3 Apr 11 10:25 /dev/dsp" Is there anything in the realplayer config files that i can point to the soundserver??? Unless it already knows it/ I'm so lost.... > ps -e tells me that i am using the artsd. What is next sensei?

well yes KDE uses artsd as their soundserver. this means that arts will basically take the sound devices hostage and that every application that uses sound has to go through arts. this may sound bad, but it's actually a good thing because it means that many applications can output sound at the same time provided that they go through arts. now some applications have arts support, but some don't. the solution? a nice little script called artsdsp

iirc the realplayer executable is called realplay. try starting realplayer like this:

artsdsp realplay

this will make sure that the sounds gets played by arts.

nice! it worked! Thanks so much, but how can make realplay always use arts? Should i write a script that runs "artsdsp realplay" ???? or will it automagically toggle realplay to always use arts?

[quote author=Funky Data link=board=1;threadid=4598;start=0#46212 date=1029714110]
    nice! it worked! Thanks so much, but how can make realplay always use arts? Should i write a script that runs "artsdsp realplay" ???? or will it automagically toggle realplay to always use arts?

[/quote]

no, u'll always have to run it as artsdsp realplay so making a script or an alias would be the best thing to do.
    the only way u can make a program use arts automatically is if has built-in support for it

I made a script which did the following...

#!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/artsdsp /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay.old

the .old is the realplay executable, i renamed so the script can be called realplay. Bash throws an error upon execution.

[exotic@SkyNet RealPlayer8]$ realplay
    pure virtual method called
    /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay: line 2: 1966 Aborted /usr/bin/artsdsp /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay.old

So, I tried to pipe realplay to artsdsp, but that didn't do anything...so what do you think i should do? How would i make an alias for realplay???

[quote author=Funky Data link=board=1;threadid=4598;start=0#46227 date=1029724388]
    [exotic@SkyNet RealPlayer8]$ realplay
    pure virtual method called
    /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay: line 2: 1966 Aborted /usr/bin/artsdsp /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay.old
    [/quote]

whoa that's weird... and does it work when u type "artsdsp realplay" in a terminal?

anyway, an alias can be setup like this:
    alias realplay="artsdsp realplay"

add that to your ~/.bash_profile and/or ~/.bashrc

Thanks Ralinx, this is good karma for you. And i loved your site, keep up the good work. Tell me this (a bit off topic), how much does Europe dislike America( or Americans) or is it the Bush Administration that is screwing up everything because of the way they are handling the circumstances of Terrorism????

Ryan

oh yes, in addition to your other question. No it runs fine when i execute artsdsp realplay. It in the script when it gets funky.

Ryan