Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD

Re:Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD

Hurrah, I'm a FreeBSD user now, installing KDE right now when I get a DE to play with I'll take this baby for a joyride to discover the quirks.

Lovechild' rage now powered by FreeBSD-RELEASE.

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#45917 date=1029498415]
    Better stick with FreeBSD if you actually want to install some software on your system. If you don't intend to actually use your computer, OpenBSD should be great.
    [/quote]

On the other hand, if you don't want to be 0wn3d by 1337 w1nd0z h4x0r:SUP3R DR4G0N D00D!!!!!!!!!!! (C) 2002!!!!!11! stick with OpenBSD

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#46125 date=1029636616]
    [quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#45917 date=1029498415]
    Better stick with FreeBSD if you actually want to install some software on your system. If you don't intend to actually use your computer, OpenBSD should be great.
    [/quote]

On the other hand, if you don't want to be 0wn3d by 1337 w1nd0z h4x0r:SUP3R DR4G0N D00D!!!!!!!!!!! (C) 2002!!!!!11! stick with OpenBSD
    [/quote]

yup! FreeBSD has about 3-4 BugTraq advisories every 2 weeks.

Wow that was quick... FreeBSD totally refused to work with my mouse, and despite lots of help on both #ljr and #freebsd but to no avail.... Seemed that not even root had anykind of access to /dev - strange freaky bug.

Sadly FreeBSD is dead...

There's a reason you're advised not to use RELEASE except for testing purposes.

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#46248 date=1029754173]
    There's a reason you're advised not to use RELEASE except for testing purposes.
    [/quote]

Sorry I was adviced that -CURRENT was the development branch and that the stable one was called -RELEASE, anyways I made sure I was running a stable branch by editing the supfile to match the handbook.

Didn't mean to confuse you Kenshi, sorry.

Hope I'm not too late to jump in on this, I think both of these OS's have great value. If you're running a workstation on an internal net somewhere FreeBSD is great. Lots of software is available for FreeBSD users now, including OpenOffice, and many popular linux games. However if security is your bag, an OpenBSD system is what you want, in addition, if you box is meant to be public OpenBSD is for you.

With those things being said, while FreeBSD does not have the benefit of an audited source tree it can be made to be very secure, escecially now that they have a great firewalling package built into it with IPF.

While OpenBSD is heralded as the most secure O.S. on the planet, recent vulnerabilities have plagued the latest OpenBSD release. Proving that even the most talented programmers are not error free.

For me OpenBSD is the way to go on any public machine. For my private workstations on my own internal subnet at work and at home, the sheer speed, reliability and flexibility balanced with my own personal security practices makes FreeBSD the way to go on the desktop.

Hope this can help you out.

I just want FreeBSD but if the darn thing can't use my mouse and /dev is fucked... then what do I do?

Linux works for me, BSD didn't - maybe I'll give it a second chance later when i have time.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#46285 date=1029772564]
    Sorry I was adviced that -CURRENT was the development branch and that the stable one was called -RELEASE, anyways I made sure I was running a stable branch by editing the supfile to match the handbook.

Didn't mean to confuse you Kenshi, sorry.
    [/quote]

My mistake. I tend to get RELEASE and CURRENT mixed up. Yeah, RELEASE shouldn't give you problems. It's very strange that you didn't have access to /dev. By the way, I would recommend going with the STABLE branch for a desktop computer. It's roughly equivelant to testing in Debian. I've never had any major problems with it. If you try FreeBSD again, you should post your problems here before giving up.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#46305 date=1029787019]
    I just want FreeBSD but if the darn thing can't use my mouse and /dev is fucked... then what do I do?

Linux works for me, BSD didn't - maybe I'll give it a second chance later when i have time.
    [/quote]
    About that mouse, what worked for me was to use the mouse device (/dev/sysmouse in my case) and protocol indicated during installation, the enter that in whatever you use to configure X, e.g., xf86config or XF86Setup.