Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD

Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD

Lovechild is once again thinking about making the switch to the FreeBSD system.

The main problem here is that the FreeBSD installer hates Lovechild very much, is there like a beta installer that is of some use to an idiot like me, with gui and shit - if not, then how do I get my system installed easiest on my RAID0 setup, and what things should I know before I start?

Good Guru

Re:Please help Lovechild install FreeBSD

Send me 12 beatiful female virgens and we can talk business

[quote author=ShadowMan link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#45786 date=1029427001]
    Send me 12 beatiful female virgins and we can talk business
    [/quote]

Howbout I just say thank you.... I don't think I can mail 12 virgins to you without getting bankrupted..

Don't use FreeBSD!!!! Use OpenBSD with gobie http://www.gobie.net/screenshots.html

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#45848 date=1029444291]
    Don't use FreeBSD!!!! Use OpenBSD with gobie http://www.gobie.net/screenshots.html
    [/quote]

Well that Gobie thing looks cool, how's the overall system, I really liked FreeBSD when I played around with it at a friends place - the kernel is great (not as great as the Linux kernel, but that's mostly a community thing - [me=Lovechild]likes Linus Torvalds' comments on lkml).[/me]

I mostly need to know how to setup RAID0 and how the support for things like KDE and DRI is.

I've heard of others setting up RAID without a problem but it isn't anything that I have done before. KDE support is greeeeat in OpenBSD but DRI is so-so as far as in kernel support goes.

I just had to promote OpenBSD .

lovechild: if u want games ur better off with linux. for a regular desktop without games i guess FreeBSD or OpenBSD should be just as good.

Better stick with FreeBSD if you actually want to install some software on your system. If you don't intend to actually use your computer, OpenBSD should be great.

The handbook doesn't say anything special about installing on raid drives. I guess the partition manager will detect the drive if it can. What kind of raid drive is it? I figure Bios emulated raid is just seen as a regular hard drive, and I'm looking at information about DPT SmartRaids.

Finally, I've had fairly good luck with KDE on FreeBSD. I think it has crashed a time or two, but I know at least one person using Linux who it crashes on very frequently. I don't know about DRI.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=10;threadid=4576;start=0#45912 date=1029497961]
    lovechild: if u want games ur better off with linux. for a regular desktop without games i guess FreeBSD or OpenBSD should be just as good.
    [/quote]

Well I decided that I don't really need to play games right now, I need a decent computer to code on, and Gentoo is getting boring, once when I feel the need to play a game or two I'll just fire up a Windows Machine at school or something. We have 1.5GHz P4 machines with lots of memory, and I think also quite decent 3d cards...

Good Guru

Okay, Ill settle for a thank you. ;D

Anyhow, go OpenBSD if you have zero desire for games. Its an awesome OS. The one thing that I dislike, however, is its lackluster Windows interoperability support. But, for your case -- does that matter? I was using an OpenBSD box at home for a while no problems. The work unit was good too. But I had no samba browsing on it -- so for a windows farm that sucked. It could do SMB serving only.

FreeBSD has a shitload more software native for it and available in packages. I just like the whole OpenBSD way. IT works wonderfully.