Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Wireless Network Questions

Thread: Wireless Network Questions

Wireless Network Questions

Ok eryone I tried searching here for some info but I guess I am dumb or something :

Anyway I want to get my laptop on the internet and I don't want to restrict it to the computer room with wires. So I want to have some sort of wireless option going on. I do know that my laptop will need a wireless card, that is where my knowledge ends.

These are my questions:
    1) Do I just need a wireless access point? Assuming I use my main tower as my Firewall/Router.

2) If I need more than #1, I would assume that I need a wireless router, but why?

Maybe what I would like is somewhere to go to get a BASIC understanding of WIFI or if someone can give that info to me on this board that would be great... I am gonna google after Letterman, so maybe my questions will get answered before people can respond, but thanx in advance for any help.

<edit>Ok so the googling did not go well... I already think I have a basic understanding of networking... I just couldn't find a list that tells you what you need to set it up > If someone could be so kind as to give me such a list, PLEASE! Thanx</edit>

Good Guru

Re:Wireless Network Questions

[quote author=mcdougrs link=board=4;threadid=4572;start=0#45730 date=1029381713]
    1) Do I just need a wireless access point? Assuming I use my main tower as my Firewall/Router.[/quote]

Yes.

Here is a good one. http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...57&grid=22

Here is another one.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl1000ap/

Here are some UNIX based tools.
    http://roma.polesye.net/

2) If I need more than #1, I would assume that I need a wireless router, but why?
    No. All you need is wireless access point for the gateway/router, a wireless network card for the PC ( your notebook ) and you are ready to go. Why you need wireless access point is that it will translate Ethernet traffic to the wireless signal thus different frequency.

It's the same as you need DSL/Cable modem for connection to your ISP from your gateway/router.

This document will explain everything you need to know about wireless networking.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO.html

HTH ...

Hey, i've just fallen in love with 802.11b in my home. Here/s a tip, i've tried the pccard to pccard format instead of getting a router. If you do wanna be cheap and nix buying a WAP(wireless access point) make sure you get 2 of the same cards, some cards handle the protocols a bit different so when communicating with each other you'll lose signal alot and get alot of funky errors. But the peer to peer wireless network in your home does work, my friend did it with a bsd box and 2 orinoco cards. Because my house at college will be wireless I bought the linksys 4port wireless switch/router. $150 but worth every penny. good luck, and makesure you use WEP on your network, cause people like me like to hop on unsuspecting networks, and make sure you turn beaconing off on your AP.

Good Luck,
    Ryan

Good Guru

[quote author=Funky Data link=board=4;threadid=4572;start=0#45804 date=1029430624]
    But the peer to peer wireless network in your home does work, my friend did it with a bsd box and 2 orinoco cards.
    [/quote]
    Well, you just said you did use it but didn't say which one you referenced to or which document you ( and your friend ) followed so that we can learn how to do that too.

That's sounds exciting but we need to know how to do it. How can you get the same card if it's from PC router to notebook?? The same card you meant the same vendor??

Thanx you guys... The only reason I would get just a plain old AP is because of $$$$ I have none... so the cheaper the better. Plus I fugre I can use the tower to do the routing and firewalling.

I would also like to know if you mean just the same manufacturer... unless you want me to get one of those PCMIA card adaprts for my tower... that might be even cheaper yet... But wouldn't that be like direct connecting 2 PCs with a cross over cable? Oh yeah and how many PC can you connect this way(plain old pc card to pc card)?

Not sure about the max load one card can handle remember they are meant for ad-hoc traffic or just to the AP. Ok so to clarify, (sorry about the above being a bit mysterious) Yes you need the same manufacturer, but realize this many card makers use the same boards like for example, Avaya , Aerionet(i thinik thats its name) and Lucent Tech. all use Lucent's Orinoco card but they just put their name on it. I know this because all my friends have wifi cards and the fcc numbers are identical. Now the reason for this info is that you can get an orinoco for gold card for say 80, 74, or 53 bucks, the difference is the label. So shop smart, shop S-mart! :P

Ryan

P.S. I'd be happy to chat about wireless stufff with you guys i've gotten into alot so if you need any info on wardriving, patches, firmware i've seen alot so far with my travels. But i'm not so hot on the server side of linux, so help there would be appreciated.

You could also use something along the lines of "wisp-dist" from the
    LEAF project (http://leaf.sourceforge.net) to make your own access-
    point, or "Bering" from the same project and combine the router and
    access-point into the same 486/P1 router machine.

The wireless support is found in the WISP-dist docs, the Bering Users
    Manual, and through archives of the leaf-user mailing list.

I hope this helps,
    ~Lynn

Good Guru

[quote author=Guitarlynn link=board=4;threadid=4572;start=0#46405 date=1029864248]
    combine the router and
    [/quote]
    Now, THAT is something interesting ......

Thanks for the link.

[quote author=Guitarlynn link=board=4;threadid=4572;start=0#46405 date=1029864248]
    You could also use something along the lines of "wisp-dist" from the
    LEAF project (http://leaf.sourceforge.net) to make your own access-
    point, or "Bering" from the same project and combine the router and

The wireless support is found in the WISP-dist docs, the Bering Users
    Manual, and through archives of the leaf-user mailing list.

I hope this helps,
    ~Lynn
    [/quote]

WOW WOW WOW this is so cool!!! I can't wait to try some of this... However I need another computer to designate as my router/firewall/AP box don't have that yet!! But things are looking up for me in the job front (which mean some sort of income) so I may have that box sooner than I originally hoped!!

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=4572;start=0#46459 date=1029893774]
    combine the router and
    [/quote]
    Now, THAT is something interesting ......

Thanks for the link.
    [/quote]

No problem providing the link, I've been working with LEAF for years now.
    There have been some people that have setup Bering to bridge a wireless
    LAN segment to a wired LAN segment then masq everything through to the
    internet. Bering also supports multiple external IFACES and redundant WAN
    connections, so the sky is pretty much the limit if your up to spend some
    time playing with it. Many of us are running various LEAF distro's on
    CDROM's, CF cards, and DOC's so your not limited to using a floppy
    (however the write-protection on the floppy is a plus and it makes a great
    target media).

I've replaced several Cisco's and Checkpoints with these and outperformed
    them running routed protocols. They work very well in commercial environments
    as well. Let me know what you think if you try any of them!

Glad to be of assistance!
    ~Lynn