Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Tid-Bits #1- Kernel release numbers

Thread: Tid-Bits #1- Kernel release numbers

Tid-Bits #1- Kernel release numbers

For those new to linux and that are curious as to what your kernel version is you can type in the console:

uname -r

for example:

[greg@Mister_Computer greg]$ uname -r
    2.4.18-3

this wasn't good enough for me, since it was just numbers without names, so here is what they mean:

VERSION = 2
    PATCHLEVEL = 4
    SUBLEVEL = 18
    EXTRAVERSION = 3

though it was jsut a curiousity for me, i remember it being necessary when i made my audio drivers, so either way, now you know what it means!

Goodluck,

Babbing

ps - i will try to find other details that might be of interest for the new guys

Aaron_Adams

Re:Tid-Bits #1

Just to add to this a little for any of you that have ever wondered what the difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 tree is:

All it is, is the difference between the stable kernel and the development kernel. The odd number (the "5" in 2.5) signifies a development kernel. When 2.5 becomes stable, it will turn into the 2.6 tree, which will be considered the new stable tree. (Whether or not it is a stable kernel or not is a different story).

I know some people are confused as to why the distro's don't include 2.5 as it's the "newest" kernel, but that's the reason. It's just for testing new features, etc.

Sweet, nice note Aaron, if anyone else knows good tid bits about kernel numbers, lets here'm

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Adams
    Just to add to this a little for any of you that have ever wondered what the difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 tree is:

All it is, is the difference between the stable kernel and the development kernel. The odd number (the "5" in 2.5) signifies a development kernel. When 2.5 becomes stable, it will turn into the 2.6 tree,
    or 3.0, depending on the mood of the kernel developers
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Aaron_Adams

Re:Tid-Bits #1- Kernel release numbers

Alastair,

Where did you hear about that? I've heard no mention of them planning on moving it to a 3.0 tree... The oddest thing I've heard is them planning on maintaining a 2.6 and 2.7 tree simutaneously.

I'd be interested in reading about the 3.0 switching argument if you could find it somewhere.

really?
    well i just heard that 2.6 _might_ be called 3.0 if they choose so,
    can't remember where, somewhere on slashdot maybe??
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

heh, i heard the same thing, prolly on irc. dang i wish i remembered who was talking about it......