Thread: Small Buisness App

Small Buisness App

Anyone know of a small buisness application (for Windows) that can print invoices, schedules, keep a databse of clients, etc ... ? A friend of mine has been asking me but I'm not sure whats good out there.

Good Guru

Re:Small Buisness App

Microsoft Office for small business is pretty good ( but it's way expensive though ). Excel and Word combo can do pretty much the same.

Thats kind of what they are looking for but much more specialized. They use to use Daytime Buisness Orginizer (for Win 3.11) but the binary currupts after a year on Win98.

StarOffice 6 is much cheaper than MS Office and does just about everything a small business would need. I don't have any experience with specialized apps.

Good Guru

If you are looking at Linux based, then check out Quasar. Newsforge had done some article a while back on it.

[me=Compunuts]go search for a link ....[/me]

Here it is.

I think they have also got some Windows version as well. Check out their site - Linux Canada - also.

I do not have any experience with them though so I don't know how good it's. I was also doing some research on some small inventory control application as well as invoicing for my small business but don't have much time to actually install and tested it.

So if you installed it and done some playing around, let me know how it's and stuff like that, please.

Good Guru

Cheap and easy is Access. I am forced to use it everyday. It does my invoiceing (from the SQL server's DB), disconnects, new Voicemail connects/disconnects. I also have for sceduling the evil MS Schedule +.

For the simple hearted -- go access for the db related stuff. and if he doesnt want to code up a form for doing a scedule - go with a web based one. I found one that is really cool for larger scale envionments as well. Login based (if you want) so only admins can delete sceduled appointments.... Ill get the name for ya. I found it on freshmeat. If you want screenshots of some Access shit that we use, I can show you. In fact all of our invoices are from an access report.

For the ambitious -- do it in mysql/postgresql, and write up some frontends for it.

Good Guru

[quote author=ShadowMan link=board=14;threadid=4561;start=0#45791 date=1029428104]
    Cheap and easy is Access.[/quote]
    You must be kidding ... If you meant Access means what I think it's ( MS Access which is part of MS Office professional ), then the price tag for $ 425 is not CHEAP.

At least Quasar will cost you nothing for 1 PC version and every additional license will cost you only $ 29.