Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent cdburner app for KDE?

Decent cdburner app for KDE?

I've just bought myself a brand spanking new 40 speed IDE burner and thanks to the PET here and the info on LNO I got it installed painlessly - now comes the tricky part, I looked high and low for a decent burner app, like Nero Burning Rom for Windows which I like very much. So far I've tried, Arson, CD Bake Oven and GCombust and I have been unable to make my burner work in any of those, nor did their interfaces feel plesant to use.... I know my burner works with Linux because I can burn data to it using cdrecord, but while cdrecord is very neat for burning ISOs and CD' it's not suited for data backup...

So any good guesses as to what a neat burning app that has a pleasing interface and is easy to configure ?

Re:Decent cdburner app for KDE?

So far I got the thing working in XCDroast, while the interface is buttugly and illogical it seems that it's the best Linux has to offer atm.

I just use cdrecord, it's easy, simple and does the job well.

You could always use PyQT to write a simple application that calls cdrecord with certain parameters.

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=2;threadid=4550;start=0#45509 date=1029185925]
    I just use cdrecord, it's easy, simple and does the job well.

You could always use PyQT to write a simple application that calls cdrecord with certain parameters.
    [/quote]

Yeah right like I want to write a cdrecording app... it would be much more productive to fix one of the many apps which are all ready written... just because you CAN doesn't mean you HAVE to do it the hard way...

GnuVince that has to be the silliest answer you have ever given anyone on this forum, I asked for a GUI program because I found cdrecord lacking and you tell me use cdrecord or write it yourself... how inteligent do you feel right now ?

I use cdrecord but I found XCDRoast to be almost as good (just a few things missing). If you want a closed source burning app you can get FireBurner for Linux.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=2;threadid=4550;start=0#45512 date=1029186937]
    I use cdrecord but I found XCDRoast to be almost as good (just a few things missing). If you want a closed source burning app you can get FireBurner for Linux.
    [/quote]

FireBurner... well thx, I'll go have a looksy..

cdbakeoven

i think it's in the kdenonbeta module, which is where they keep some extra kde apps

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=2;threadid=4550;start=0#45518 date=1029189835]
    cdbakeoven

i think it's in the kdenonbeta module, which is where they keep some extra kde apps
    [/quote]

Kde extra, but as you can see I tried that one, and it didn't like my burner, refused to hook up with cdrecord.... strange problem, will look into that one some more later.

[me=Lovechild]scratches gtoaster, gcomcust and arson from the list, arson has a very nice interface but could only burn VCD and Audio, data isn't implemented yet.[/me]

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=4550;start=0#45511 date=1029186529]
    Yeah right like I want to write a cdrecording app... it would be much more productive to fix one of the many apps which are all ready written... just because you CAN doesn't mean you HAVE to do it the hard way...

GnuVince that has to be the silliest answer you have ever given anyone on this forum, I asked for a GUI program because I found cdrecord lacking and you tell me use cdrecord or write it yourself... how inteligent do you feel right now ?
    [/quote]

All GUI burning software I've seen on Linux sucks major ass. I have tested a bunch (Gcombust, gburner, XCDroast, kreatecd) and they are all harder to use IMO or lack some features.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=4550;start=0#45519 date=1029190257]
    Kde extra, but as you can see I tried that one, and it didn't like my burner, refused to hook up with cdrecord.... strange problem, will look into that one some more later.
    [/quote]

oh LOL, i didn't even read ur post i just replied to the topic

[me=Ralinx]takes another toke[/me]
    oh yea