Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gentoo

Thread: Gentoo

Gentoo

Well, I thought I might as well give it a fair shot since I've pretty much tried most all other major (and not so major) distros. Any notes before I burn the x86 ISO and install?

Re:Gentoo

Print that little install instruction manual on their site other than that be ready for a looooong day of compiling.

8) Gentoo 8)

Make coffee, lots of coffee....

Hi everyone!

I burned the 100 mb ISO and tried setting this up last night. Needless to say, it failed. I think I went through the steps for the 16 MB ISO, and when it came down to /etc/fstab, it reported all the files missing!

This time, I'm doing to WHOLE thing over. It's fun! This is the best way to learn stuff.

[quote author=Goughmezz link=board=7;threadid=4542;start=0#45575 date=1029252140]
    This is the best way to learn stuff.
    [/quote]

www.linuxfromscratch.org
    that is the best way to learn

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4542;start=0#45582 date=1029259931]
    www.linuxfromscratch.org
    that is the best way to learn
    [/quote]

I agree!

8) LFS 8)

Well, gentoo turned out to be a big pile o' crap.

I can't really see hand assembling my VCR or TV, so what's the point anyway? ???

[quote author=Goughmezz link=board=7;threadid=4542;start=0#45617 date=1029294808]

I can't really see hand assembling my VCR or TV, so what's the point anyway? ???
    [/quote]

Well, some folks like to tinker and build things. Plus, it is a great way to learn the inner workings of Linux. That's why there is choice.

Would I ever do it? No, I would not. I am quite happy with SuSE, but that's me.

[quote author=cga link=board=7;threadid=4542;start=0#45711 date=1029372112]
    [quote author=Goughmezz link=board=7;threadid=4542;start=0#45617 date=1029294808]

[/quote]

Well, some folks like to tinker and build things. Plus, it is a great way to learn the inner workings of Linux. That's why there is choice.

Would I ever do it? No, I would not. I am quite happy with SuSE, but that's me.
    [/quote]
    Well those folks should build LFS then it ma be longer but at least it is as only bug ridden as the source code installed and not buggy for some other reason related to a distro being too big for their own good.