Okay, folks, I got my friend hooked on Linux (Mandrake 8.0). He is thinking about dumping his box for a laptop computer. He (Jon) is going to buy a computer sans evil empire related software (M$ Windows XX). Jon wants a good distro that will easily detect everything on a generic laptop (can't seem to convince him that Slack is where it's at ). I told him Mandrake, but now I want to know what everyone else thinks. Should Jon just stick with Mandy or is there a better distro that is more suitable for laptops? Since I don't have a laptop, I don't feel that I am an authority on which is the most trouble free distro to use. Thanks.

Cheers

[edit]While we're at it, he hasn't decided on a laptop to buy. He has checked out the linux-laptop faq's. He wants me to help him decide what to buy. I have no experience. Has anyone got a good, relatively inexpensive laptop recommendation? Has anyone used the desktop/laptop hybrids (such as one of these http://www.softwareandstuff.com/d_ds...ea900gray.html? Pros/cons? Thanks again.[/edit]