Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here use Netscape 4.x?

Does anyone here use Netscape 4.x?

I'm just curious to know if anyone here is still using Netscape 4.x. It's still pretty popular in some places, and I simply don't understand why. Now if someone here is still browsing the web with NN 4.x, please explain me why. I've been wondering for a pretty long time why this outdated piece of crap is still so popular.

Ok, I still use NN 4.x sometimes, but not for browsing the web. I just use it for viewing the web pages I make because I like to see its unbelievable CSS bug collection in action.

Good Guru

Re:Does anyone here use Netscape 4.x?

I do on occasion. Only because I need it for a internal web app at work. NS6 is far superior, but wont run the app. NS4 isnt horrible, just outdated. It was very nice up until Mozilla got usable.

Yup, it is out dated, but lets not forget that back in its time, it was the best browser out there. Netscape did battle with the Forces of Darkness from Redmond for many years, and we should all respect what NS 4.x was. I ran Netscape 3.x and 4.x for years on my Mac and on Windows and then Linux.

Now we have the much better NS 6 series (6.2 is the best browser I have ever used, IMHO) and we have Mozilla. Neither would exist were it not for Netscape and their contribution to the OSS movement.

Yeah Netscape 4.x is a very solid browser. Doesn't look as pretty, but is very fast and stable and seems to be able to render a lot of web pages that Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera, etc ... can't. That's my experience anyway.

Good Guru

[quote author=binary_boy link=board=2;threadid=4532;start=0#45297 date=1028997104]
    but is very fast and stable and seems to be able to render a lot of web pages that Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera, etc ... can't. That's my experience anyway.
    [/quote]

Most excellent point, sir!

Yes, I know Netscape 4.x was the best browser back in its time. Yes, I know what it's done to the OSS movement and I'm really grateful for that. And Pentium 200 was fast when it came out and the best processor back in its time!

Sure NN 4.x is stable and still renders most web pages very well. But it does so mainly for the same reason IE renders pages well - most of the websites are DESIGNED to work with NN 4.x because so many people still use it. And I'm claiming those people who surf the web with NN 4.x are holding back web development.

You don't believe that? Well, design a standards-compliant website that uses CSS. CSS is a wonderful thing because it makes your life a lot easier. With CSS, your pages are smaller, more accessible, you don't have to do weird hacks with tables in order to make your layout, you don't need to design separate "printer-friendly" pages, and you can control the look and layout of a 1000-page website by changing one single little file. And because your website follows open standards, you can be confident that it will look good in any standards-compliant browser, like Mozilla, Netscape 6, Opera, and Konqueror. Then you view it with Netscape 4.x and realize it's screwed up.

Now you must change your small, simple, easy-to-maintain, valid, correct and standards-compliant website in order to make it work with Netscape 4.x. You must make your layout with tables, adding many many extra lines of code, and you must include more lines of presentational markup. Now you finally have a bigger, hard-to-maintain website that works with NN 4.x.

The problem? The people using NN 4.x don't want to upgrade their five-year-old browsers because your website works with them. You can't make your website the easier way because people still use NN 4.x. Hmm... do I see a circle here somewhere? Do I see people making 3D games that work on a Pentium 200 here somewhere?

[quote author=NGene link=board=2;threadid=4532;start=0#45382 date=1029089823]
    Yes, I know Netscape 4.x was the best browser back in its time. Yes, I know what it's done to the OSS movement and I'm really grateful for that. And Pentium 200 was fast when it came out and the best processor back in its time!

Sure NN 4.x is stable and still renders most web pages very well. But it does so mainly for the same reason IE renders pages well - most of the websites are DESIGNED to work with NN 4.x because so many people still use it. And I'm claiming those people who surf the web with NN 4.x are holding back web development.

You don't believe that? Well, design a standards-compliant website that uses CSS. CSS is a wonderful thing because it makes your life a lot easier. With CSS, your pages are smaller, more accessible, you don't have to do weird hacks with tables in order to make your layout, you don't need to design separate "printer-friendly" pages, and you can control the look and layout of a 1000-page website by changing one single little file. And because your website follows open standards, you can be confident that it will look good in any standards-compliant browser, like Mozilla, Netscape 6, Opera, and Konqueror. Then you view it with Netscape 4.x and realize it's screwed up.

Now you must change your small, simple, easy-to-maintain, valid, correct and standards-compliant website in order to make it work with Netscape 4.x. You must make your layout with tables, adding many many extra lines of code, and you must include more lines of presentational markup. Now you finally have a bigger, hard-to-maintain website that works with NN 4.x.

The problem? The people using NN 4.x don't want to upgrade their five-year-old browsers because your website works with them. You can't make your website the easier way because people still use NN 4.x. Hmm... do I see a circle here somewhere? Do I see people making 3D games that work on a Pentium 200 here somewhere?
    [/quote]

You are 100% correct about CSS. I recall a few years ago very confidently saying that by the year 2000, CSS would be the only way to go for website design. It makes sense, for all the reasons you stated. Yet here we are fast approaching 2003, and the web is an even bigger mess than it was back then, with all kinds of incompatible stuff clogging up the works. Now, it looks more and more like the backend stuff is the way web design is going, with the page itself being little more than an interface tool.

I don't do any of that stuff anyway- I just cobble together really simplistic HTML for my lame home page and do nothing at all in terms of real web design. My stuff renders in anything. ;D

Netscape works for me.
    I like Opera too,sometimes for something different. 8)

I have Netscape 6.2 and Opera, but I kept NN 4.79 because for reasons like those mentioned, I need it for backup.

I use it becaus on my slow 550mhz system netscape runs faster than mozilla or other comparable browsers. Now if you give me a faster machine THEN I will use mozilla. Basically for its speed and how it renders webpage is why I still use netscape...