Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mp3 Box
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mp3 Box

Mp3 Box

Ok, I took an Old 486 running Redhat 6.1 and made a mp3 box for my home stereo. Well it works but theres a couple things I would like it to do...

1) Is there anyway to control mpg123 from a keyboard, or anyway to setup certain keys to run bash scripts or something?

2) Would it be possible to make a script, that would check /mnt/cdrom for mp3 files, and if there were, run mpg123 and if not run a cdplayer, and then if the program is exited, eject the cdrom, wait for it to be closed and start over? Maybe just something close to that would work...

Re:Mp3 Box

how do you do that kind of setup. make an mp3 box to hook into your stereo and such. ?

Ok well, its pretty easy the way I did it. All I did was took an old 120mhz 486 ( you really need a low-end pentium), an old cdrom (4x or lower), a small harddisk (about 400MB or so) and a sound-blaster compatible sound card. Then I installed RedHat 6.1, edited fstab so the cdrom would automount, and added a line to /etc/rc.local so mpg123 would automatically start. Of course I stuck a mp3 filled cd in the cdrom. Then all you need is a phono jack to RC cord to plug into your sound card and into your home stereo and viola! its done.

You should look into the the Route66 project, over at www.anders.com.

I've looked into a buncha sites about this, and I plan on eventually using LIRC with an old stereo remote to control it, so this is just a temporary thing, and I haven't been able to find out any info about using a keyboard to control it.

It shouldn't be all that hard to make a front-end for mpg123 that controls it from the keyboard. But I don't know of any way you could make a program auto-detect when cd's are inserted. That might not be possible.

I kinda figured it wouldn't be that hard, but I really don't know how to do it and I was kinda hoping someone could point me in the right direction or something...

Doesn't automount do that?

You could also write a shell or perl script to work with mpg123. I think there is even a few mp3 modules for perl!

Just about any language will let you do it. You could make it so a certain key starts playing the cd, and then a certain key stops it. I'm already getting ideas about how to do it in C. I haven't programmed anything in a while so I might just take on the challenge later. But there'll be no auto-detecting. You'll just have to put in the cd and press enter or something.