Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serving X to Linux and Windows Clients?

Serving X to Linux and Windows Clients?

I read an article a while ago about using one machine as an X Server, and connecting to this server from *nix and Windows machines, but have lost the magazine Anyone point me to a howto on this?

Basically, what I want to do is have wife start a session on on my machine, from her windows box. She would log in as herself, start X, and use a couple of applications on my machine, but without me seeing it if I am logged into my machine. I know that VNC can do this, but I would like to try it the hard way.

Re:Serving X to Linux and Windows Clients?

Hmm you could take an X server for windows .. don't know where you can get it - just search at download.com for "X server" then you install it on the win box and you can export programs from one box to the other ..

Good Guru

A win32 X client is going to cost you. The only solution that is open source or cheap, is cygwin. Its essentially a unix suite for win32. Some stuff is in binary form, but alot needed to be compiled last time I dove into cygwin. It is nice. I just had to vape it due to HD space limitations. The other X servers are going to hurt your pocketbook. If you are doing it from home -- forget it unless you have $300 to piss away for licenses. And if you are in a corporate environment, its going to cost, but not as pianful (in proportion)

Associate

XWin32 is good, but as ShadowMan said, it's going to cost ya if you wish to use it longer than what the eval. version allows you
    It's available at http://www.StarNet.com

Check out VNC, it works and it is free.
    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

OK, serving X to Win3.2 clients looks like a fizzer, but the wife is up for some SuSE action, so I would still like to give this a go, using my PIII 1G machine as the X server, and her Pentium 233 as a client. Basically, I want her machine to act as a dumb terminal, connecting to mine to do the work. My machine would have Open Office, Internet apps, databases, all the stuff she would need to run, and we wouldn't have to buy her a new machine.

I'm pretty sure the answer her is yes, but: is it possible to have a fully functional, pretty fonts, eye candy, Matrix screensaver, point'n'click X session on a machine that has no X server, but is using the X server of another machine on the network?

Although my primary reason for doing this is that I simply want to try it out, I reckon you could use this setup to free Community organisations from the MS licensing regime. If I were to approach, say, Oxfam/Community Aid Abroad, and tell them that I could set up a very usable system that needed only 1 kickarse machine, that the desktops could be old Pentiums/PII's, and that they would only need to purchase 1 copy of the installation media, and no licensing at all, you're going to save them a shitload of cash that would be better spent feeding starving kiddies.

Good Guru

[quote author=Pleiades link=board=6;threadid=4530;start=0#45364 date=1029067060]
    the wife is up for some SuSE action, so I would still like to give this a go, using my PIII 1G machine as the X server, and her Pentium 233 as a client. Basically, I want her machine to act as a dumb terminal, connecting to mine to do the work. My machine would have Open Office, Internet apps, databases, all the stuff she would need to run, and we wouldn't have to buy her a new machine.[/quote]
    Why not just install the minimal version of Linux ( such as Debian or strip down version of any distro ) on your wife box as dual boot?? I have my Debian box on P 233 with 64 MB RAM and it's pretty good with IceWM on it and runs smooth. I know it would be hard for OO.O or SO to run on that P 233 but you can export to your wife's Linux box easily from your main box. Don't even bother with WinXserver stuff.
    I'm pretty sure the answer her is yes, but: is it possible to have a fully functional, pretty fonts, eye candy, Matrix screensaver, point'n'click X session on a machine that has no X server, but is using the X server of another machine on the network?
    No, but you can have low resource hog X servers such as IceWM or Fluxbox or Blackbox.

Am looking at a couple of TLDP docs now that may be sort of what I'm after. I'll try them out and post an update.

Tightvnc at www.tightvnc.com works equally well as AT&T's version. The quy reworked vnc to be a bit more pleasant when running over slow lines.

I have used it and it workes quite well.