Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Xandros: screenshot and interview

Thread: Xandros: screenshot and interview

Xandros: screenshot and interview

check it out
    http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...&artid=533
    xandros is the continuation of corel3, the easiest debian
    distro....check out the awesome screenshot ....
    looks super easy for windoze newbies to learn linux
    on without being scared off

Re:Xandros: screenshot and interview

Hopefully something good will come out of this.

I don't know about you, but screenshots of Linux distros are absolutely of no interest to me. What interests me are things like:

- what are tools written in? Are they safe from possible exploits?
    - when a service can be exploited, how fast do these guys respond and how easy is it to install the patch/new version?
    - Is the system kept small, clean and lean ( la OpenBSD)

The fact that the default wallpaper is blue and that KDE is the default wm is of no interest.

GnuVince, those things are especially useful to know if someone wants the Xandros Server (although, of course, they're good qualities in any OS'es).

With a desktop OS I'm more interested in knowing what end-user programs it has, how good the support is, how easy it is to install, and is it usable out of the box or does the user need to tinker with the OS a few hours before he can do anything useful with it.

And it is pretty interesting to know what the default wm is. The new users installing a Linux system for the first time don't know how to change the default wm so it's better to let them start with a desktop that has a decent default configuration and is easy to use. A Xandros Desktop with wm2 as it's default wm? Hmm, that would be interesting.

I agree with the screenshots thing, though. They don't prove anything. Any Linux distro can be made looking like any other. Besides, if those "awesome screenshots" there are showing the default theme of Xandros Linux, shame on them... even my SuSE's default KDE theme looked better! :P

[quote author=NGene link=board=7;threadid=4528;start=0#45274 date=1028987151]
    Besides, if those "awesome screenshots" there are showing the default theme of Xandros Linux, shame on them... even my SuSE's default KDE theme looked better! :P
    [/quote]

hell, even a newly compiled and installed KDE from source looks better than that

I've seen some discussion about xandros being involved with Lindows; With the reputation Lindows has gotten, I'm not too confident in xandros.
    That's too bad; I agree with capybara about Corel; it was an easy install, perfect for windows users to get an introduction to Linux; that's where I started.

I like the fact that they worked hard to tie KDE more deeply into the system, fx. the work they put into USB is awesome.

Well, from a purely "looks" point of view, I rather like this. I am partial to the MS Windows look and feel- I have my SuSE KDE setup to look and work much like MS Windows. Makes it easier to bounce back and forth between the two OSs and would be helpful for new users coming over from MS.

I like the "launch" button too. ;D