I can't find the libs directory in debian! I have libqt3-dev and all it's requirements installed (like libqt3 ..) .... and whereis qt returns /usr/shar/qt and /usr/include/qt but they are all header files and no 'libraries'.

Here is output from trying to compile a QT3 app ...

Code:
ash@nwsupplies:~/test$ g++ -I$QTDIR/include -lqt -o test test.C 
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `QApplication::QApplication[in-charge](int&, char**)'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x52): undefined reference to `QString::QString[in-charge](char const*)'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x7c): undefined reference to `QLabel::QLabel[in-charge](QString const&, QWidget*, char const*, unsigned)'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x139): undefined reference to `QApplication::setMainWidget(QWidget*)'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x159): undefined reference to `QApplication::exec()'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x166): undefined reference to `QApplication::~QApplication [in-charge]()'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.text+0x182): undefined reference to `QApplication::~QApplication [in-charge]()'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o: In function `QString::~QString [in-charge]()':
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7QStringD1Ev+0x1e): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7QStringD1Ev+0x26): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/tmp/ccJTMklm.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7QStringD1Ev+0x37): undefined reference to `QStringData::deleteSelf()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
ash@nwsupplies:~/test$
Here is the output using the qmake method ...

Code:
ash@nwsupplies:~/test$ qmake -project
ash@nwsupplies:~/test$ qmake
ash@nwsupplies:~/test$ make
g++ -c -pipe -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wall -W -O2  -DQT_NO_DEBUG -I/usr/share/qt//include -I/usr/share/qt//mkspecs/linux-g++ -o test.o test.C
g++  -o test test.o    -L/usr/share/qt//lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lqt -lXext -lX11 -lm
test.o: In function `main':
test.o(.text+0x2a): undefined reference to `QApplication::QApplication[in-charge](int&, char**)'
test.o(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to `QString::QString[in-charge](char const*)'
test.o(.text+0x73): undefined reference to `QLabel::QLabel[in-charge](QString const&, QWidget*, char const*, unsigned)'
test.o(.text+0x8c): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
test.o(.text+0x96): undefined reference to `QStringData::deleteSelf()'
test.o(.text+0xc3): undefined reference to `QApplication::setMainWidget(QWidget*)'
test.o(.text+0xd6): undefined reference to `QApplication::exec()'
test.o(.text+0xe0): undefined reference to `QApplication::~QApplication [in-charge]()'
test.o(.text+0x101): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
test.o(.text+0x11a): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
test.o(.text+0x124): undefined reference to `QStringData::deleteSelf()'
test.o(.text+0x144): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
test.o(.text+0x15a): undefined reference to `QApplication::~QApplication [in-charge]()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [test] Error 1
ash@nwsupplies:~/test$
and I am using QApplication (qapplication.h) and QLabel (qlabel.h).