Thread: Free subdomain delegation?

Free subdomain delegation?

right now i have nixel.mine.nu from dyndns and it's cool but i wanna be a name server. does anyone know of any place that delegates subdomains so i could be by own name server?

dyndns lets you if you donate. so maybe i'll just do that.

thanks guys

Re:Free subdomain delegation?

Sorry to send this thread off topic but I was wondering what dyndns.org is, I went to the site and I couldn't make sense of it. I don't know if I am just that dumb or if it was the tiredness factor at work, but anyway I guess I don't feel like I know what they do.

They provide people a way to host a website off of their Dynamically changing IP address box? For free, unless you want cool features?

basicly the provide a subdomain that links to /your/ ip static or dynamic. so when people go to http://nixel.mine.nu they are going to my apache on this box i'm on right now. my ip is static so i dont need the dynamic part of it, but it's still nice to have a subdomain and not 12.247.16.99

Good Guru

I forget which DNS service it was, but when you setup your DNS names, it did allow me to do main.schotty.whateveritwas.org and spare.xxxxxx . I think it was dyndns, but it may have been another. Check to see which ones allow linux-dude.org. Because thats what I had.

Good Guru

I use mydomain.com and it's a free service.

Set the DNS server to mydomain.com's DNS in your registerer. Then get an account with mydomain.com. It will either clokeforward to any URL you specify such as http://www.myschool.edu/my-department/~my-user-name but it will appear as http://www.my-own-domain-name.com to any visitors.

Since I'm very satisfied with their service, I use their mydns.com to register many of my domains and/or domains that I help my clients to establish.

I have dynamic IP addressing ( but they hardly change and the last time was about 8 months ago and still the same IP now ) but when I did the last time, it was only a matter of minutes to update the IP info.