Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Sorting problems again

Thread: Sorting problems again

Sorting problems again

okay what i have done is created a total of three files from the etc/passwd file

File one named: names (This file a got all the users names from the /etc/passwd file and put them in this file.
    File two named: userid (This file I got all userid's from the /etc/passwd file and put them in this file.
    File three: users.ref (This file I pasted with a space as delimiator of the names and userid files together)
    Had use the command paste -d" " userid names > users.ref

now that the contents of the file users.ref is clear my object is to eventurally write a script using this one of display the entire contents of the users.ref file in aphalbetical order by last name .

Right now Im just working on the sorting of this so i can figure out how to write the script.

For exampe the file looks like this.im making up userid and such cuz i can't post it here.

Code:
    sn12345 Karin Neostar
    So basically im struggling how to sort this file by last name altho the first and last name are considered as one field. I can sort by fields no problem but not part of a field.

Any ideas?

TIA

Re:Sorting problems again

oh forgot to mention, this is using unix with the korn shell.

Re:Sorting problems again

I think i got it now.

cat users.ref |sort -k3

I keep forgeting about the k.