Thread: Video Card Not Supported

Video Card Not Supported

Well im still working on my case from hell build. Meaning its been the worst build i have ever done in my life.

Anyhow I bought a cheap video card a SiS305

According to this page here:
    http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status30.html#30

There is no support for this particular card. I'd really like to use this card as the 4mb card i put back in is not good for me wih the flat panel becuz i keep picking up slight flickering and i have tried to tweak it till im blue in the face. any amount of flickering sends me to horrible headaches. If the os is running linux. Doesn't bother me as i can't see the flicker on the win2k box, but i prefer my linux box over windows.

Questions: how recent is that xf86config page?
    Is there any work around this? to get the card supported?

TIA

Edit: oh ya to see my lastest troubles can read here.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t30278.html

Re:Video Card Not Supported

Well finally got redhat installed this time. that is using an older vid card but now im still having the same problem with the login thingy wih my friends screen name.

should read for login

login

then after logging in it should read
    NeoStarO1@localhost

but it says.
    NeoStarO1@MonsterBlazer

??? ???

hello,
    if you set your IP with dhcp the the @ could be different...

otherwise i would say MonsterBlazer is being mischievous.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=3;threadid=4480;start=0#44724 date=1028658600]
    hello,
    if you set your IP with dhcp the the @ could be different...

otherwise i would say MonsterBlazer is being mischievous.
    [/quote]

He couldn't be getting mischievious, this guy doesn't know how to use a command prompt let alone back up files. he is the point and click person. he is very ignorant wih computers why do you think he calls me all the time wih his computer woes.

I didn't set that, but im reinstalling linux now. so we see what happens, reinstalling wihout thenetwork card and see what happens.

what is the command to get that network configurator again?
    isn't that
    netconf?

cuz wasn't working several variations could have been bad install
    but on the 2k i decided to release ip and renew and mayb it will do soemthing.

i never typed in that name. only used my network card in his box for a hsort time to upgrade.

still clueless

Good Guru

You can change the hostname anytime ou want. Redhat has the network configuration tool to do that, if you dont want to edit the file that has the string. I do recall the hostname getting changed via DHCP. What you can do here, is make the file readonly, and make it so the DHCP server CANT chage the hostname.

As for the video issue, I would say check the refresh settings. You are either too high or too low. Set it at 65Hz if at all possible. A 4MB card should be able to do upto 1024x768x16 just fine at 65Hz.

Hi shadowman,

Well if someone had told me how to change that name specifcially which they tried and it wasn't working cuz it wouldn't work on the box but i ended up swapping nic cards, same brand and model with the one in my intel box and put it in my linux/amd box and now i got my name of neo on it. and put the other one in the other one and the name is finally gone forever.

As for the vid card, thought it was a 4mb but not, its an 8 and right now it doesn't seem so bad as the 4 mb card that was in here in my old 333amd box. so im happy with it for now. i can't visiable see any flickering. i stuck the 32 mb card in the intel box. as that has windows on it. kids like that box so all seems find, would love to put it in this one tho. but they don't support that particular model. funny cuz they support the 300 model but not the 305. ???

For future refence. what is the command you type in at the CL to change those network settings or the file you edit?

Good Guru

Depends on the distro. For my beloved RedHat, you go into /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ to edit these things. Pretty much and system level stuff I have needed to configure was in the /etc/sysconfig/ directory somewhere. I forget eexactly how Slack and Debian do it. I used to use slack religiously too......

[me=ShadowMan]feels stupid.[/me]

Thanks shadowman, please don't feel stupid becuz we all are always learning.

Anyhow I will definatly check it out. Seems i rememeber from the last time I installed RH the first time I ran a command that opened up a text based wizard for configuring the network settings.

As fo the vid card, just dealing wih the 8mb for now as my 32 mb card is apparently not supported. 8 is better than my 4 cuz i don't see the flicker as bad as before wih the 4mb card.

Good Guru

As of 7.1, RedHat has setup. It has a text gui for all kinds of stuff.