Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IDE vs CLI

Thread: IDE vs CLI

IDE vs CLI

I recently installed Dreamweaver on my workstation at work, and toyed around with it. I was very impressed to say the least.......but by the afternoon, I was already back in CLI making updates and creating new php web pages.

IDEs seem to slow me down. Am I the only one that feels that way?

Good Guru

Re:IDE vs CLI

I never really got into the "Visual" programming. I dont do web, so Dreamweaver may be different. But I hate VC++, because of the "gotta do everything in the gui" shit. Then again, it makes sense for VB. VB is quick and dirty apps that are supposed to be just that.

I tried dreamweaver a few years back and didn't like it at all. It outputs terrible html to say the least. CLI all the way .... or vim.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=9;threadid=4476;start=0#44725 date=1028660117]
    I tried dreamweaver a few years back and didn't like it at all. It outputs terrible html to say the least. CLI all the way .... or vim.
    [/quote]

You should try it again. The resulting HTML is worse than hand-written HTML, of course, but it's possible to edit that code by hand; something not possible with MS Word or Frontpage

well i hate a lot of IDE's but i being the KDE pimp that i am i have to mention the quality of KDevelop once again.

it litterally makes it so much easier to work on a large project in C/C++
    no more worrying of configure scripts and makefiles, kdevelop does all of that for u.

also, say u have a project with about 100 source files. U notice a method being used of another class and u wanna check out that code again, or just see what the right parameters are again... within 2 clicks on the mouse u are looking at the code of that method. is that nice or what?

u can also get a visual representation of ur classes (like what attributes it has, what methods, the constructors, what is private, what is public, what is protected, ... all of that). u may not like it, but a lot of people do and all of those things can save u time when ur coding.

i can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would not like Kdevelop (apart from the fact that it only does C/C++)

I develop all my shit in Microsoft Visual C++ or KDevelop, and I love it.

Ralinx: I do believe that there's a plugin for java somewhere, or maybe I'm thinking of Gideon (Kdevelop 3.0), which I think has multi lingual support..

I'd like to get input on Emacs vs IDE. IDE's are pretty static, you can't change them completely, but you can change Emacs completely, so I would like to know what kind of spiffy things Emacsers have done to help them with large projects.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=9;threadid=4476;start=0#44749 date=1028674296]
    Ralinx: I do believe that there's a plugin for java somewhere, or maybe I'm thinking of Gideon (Kdevelop 3.0), which I think has multi lingual support..
    [/quote]

that would be ultra cool

They both have their advantages. I like how with an IDE, when I finish editing my code, I can simply click one button and it'll run the program and then dump me back to the source. On the other hand, CLI utilities can be less complicated as they don't have menus of options and commands. I haven't tried any unix IDE's and don't have a strong urge to. I tend to create files with vi or gnp+ and compile with gcc, nasm, or javac.