Thread: Hypothetical Networking Question

Hybrid View

Hypothetical Networking Question

Ok everyone... I was sitting here jobless :'( the other day and really bored. So I started to think what I could do to my computers.

Currently I have one Dell Desktop 800 MGHz and one Compaq Laptop AMD K6-2 333. Hopefully when I get a job I will be able to get a couple more under my belt.

Anyway I was thinkning on ways I could network these 2, and I would love to go wireless... M$ on both of these machines but looking to get a linux router/firewall setup with more time and money. Oh and if/when I get this Linux Box setup will I still be able to access BattleNet for games inside the LAN?

How would people go about doing this? ie: what kind of hardware, software, things of that sort would you go with?

Just thought this might be a cool little situation to see what others would go with... Thanx

Re:Hypothetical Networking Question

Hypnotical network? Whoa....

Good Guru

If you are building a gateway, no matter how you go -- as long as you dont block the port that bnet uses, you will be okay. NAT is great, and wont screw that up for ya.

edit: I personally use OpenBSD for my gateways -- much simpler to use. You can setup a bridge, too, rather quickly. I have tried getting Linux to do it, and depending on your kernel, you may have to work at it for a while (recompile ipchains/iptable support into the kernel). All in all, try what you feel like learning/doing. I personally think that OBSD is much simpler in the end, and a lesser security hazard. But thats me

You said you wanted to go wireless. Ive havn't had any luck getting that to work on RH7.2 ive upgraded to RH7.3 but havn't tried to get it working. I was hoping to have my Linksys card automatically work if I had it plugged in during installation but no luck. That's one good thing about M$, you plug stuff into your pc if you lucky it finds the drivers, if not you just download or pop in the CD that came with it and BAM it works.

We need a good "How to set up Linksys WPC11 card on RH7.3" PET

I guess I need to learn how drivers really work on *nix boxes.

Good Guru

Have you checked Linksys's page to see if they supply a wireless driver?