Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RH 7.2 update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RH 7.2 update

RH 7.2 update

I did a RH update using their software... And stupidly I did a bunch of other stuff (without rebooting) as well, trying to get firewallbuilder(?) to work, then when I did restart the screen just flashes for like 1 or 2 minutes and then tells me somethings like X was trying to spawn too many sessions and will be suspended for 5 minutes...

Can I do a repair to my RH install with the original 7.2 disks? And have it not touch my user accounts and webwork?

Good Guru

Re:RH 7.2 update

Boot up and goto a cli VM. (ctl + alt + f1) and login as root and goto runlevel 3 (init 3).

Then edit your X config. If you are using nVIDIA, recompile the kernel drivers and glx drivers and you should be good for go.

If that doesnt work, go into the setup and reconfigure X from the text gui. That has always worked for me.

I think that I'll give that a try... Sounds like my problem... the nVidia drivers... Lets see if I can do it again!! ???

Good Guru

Do keep in mind why the problem occured first of all. The problem lies in the fact its a module, compiled specifically for ONE kernel version. So, for example, you compiled the 2.4.19-AC kernel, more than likely the 2.4.19 vanilla kernel wouldnt work. Nor would any other revision. Thats why the source tarball is there. That way you can compile it when you change kernels or use one that is unsupported. Make sure that when you upgrade kernels - you rebuild any special modules such as this nVIDIA kernel.

I sure will... Oh and to get to the run level 3 stuff it is in

/etc/init.d/rc3

Correct? If not where do I find it?

Thanx for your help

Good Guru

Well, what I meant was just get to a CLI VM (the ctl+alt+f1-F6) and login and get the box to runlevel 3. It will be rough since X keeps trying to start, and the screen will flip back to the X's black crap every few seconds, but the method will work. I had to do it a few times because I didnt watch to see that I was upgrading my kernel over RHN. Once you get it to runlevel 3, you can rebuild your kernel drivers or whatever else needs to be fixed. A dmesg wont hurt either to see what wasnt getting loaded. And a cruise thru the /var/log directory is never a bad idea either. This is the one drawback to having the box start at runlevel 5.

Ok I REALLY HATE to sound so stupid, but I can't avoid it in this situation.

How do I get it to run level 3? I've never done it before, as to my knowledge.

Again I am really sorry about being such a newbie on this but this is new water for me, but thank you for your help so far ;D

Good Guru

No problem.

Boot you box up. You should see, once linux boots, a flciker as X tries to start. Keep trying itbecause it is gonna take a few tries -- tapping CTL+ALT+F1. You will get plopped into a text login. Try to type fast and accurate, because when X dies it doesnt give up, it will try to reload and place you back at the flicker. Then you will need to fo the ctll+alt+f1 thingie again. Login as root. Once you get logged in, type :

init 3

That will start stopping services, and restart a few (most imprtantly X wont bother you any more). That should do it. you can now recompile your nVIDIA drivers. Once you do it, you will understand that it isnt hard, just a little pain in the ass.

Wow thank you so much for your help and patience in this matter... and THAnK YOU SO MUCH for finally explaining how to change run levels seen it said before "change to run level X" before I just never knew how to until now I'll keep you posted on the status... I'll probably wait until tomorrow to try it... Trying to figure out gnucleus in windoze.

Thanx again

Good Guru

No problem dude ;D