Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea for new PET category

Re:Idea for new PET category

Here is a few guidelines for writing man pages that I came up with. If you want to add or subtract from these, please post your ideas.

1. The title should be the command name followed by a very brief explanation of it - eg "chmod: change file permissions". This will ensure that commands are listed alphabetically and will assist those who know a command exists but are not sure of it's name.
    2. Just explain what the command does, try to avoid getting in to all the underlying concepts. eg a chmod page should explain how to use chmod to set file permissions. It should not attempt to explain what permissions are or how they work. The reader who does not understand permissions should be referred to other documentation, either in PET form or from another site.
    3. Give only those command options that are most useful. This comes down to judgement on the part of the writer, but what to avoid is a huge list of swithces that the reader is never likely to need.
    4. Provide useful examples - these will do a lot more to aid understanding than a hundred words.

Good Guru

[quote author=pam link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44614 date=1028574896]
    But anyway we're getting ahead of ourselves, as we have no man pages yet (I haven't even written "clear" yet ) and the whole concept is unproven.
    [/quote]

I can make 3 or 4 right out of the few PETs I have done. Much less the countless that LC or you have done. We can easily have more than 20 by the end of the day if we wanted to.

Actually, I haven't written that many (3 to be exact :-[), I doubt if I could salvage even one man page out of them.

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44615 date=1028575683]
    Bring on those admin rights Cloverm, I'll be glad to help out.
    [/quote]
    You're on. Make me proud! ;D

Good Guru

[quote author=pam link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44629 date=1028583222]
    Actually, I haven't written that many (3 to be exact :-[), I doubt if I could salvage even one man page out of them.
    [/quote]

II suppose that shouldnt have been my point. But in all reality, we could do 30 man pets in a day. Ill get going on several of them to show ya ;D

mount
    ssh
    ifconfig
    tar
    gzip
    bzip
    init
    nslookup

Ill do these while wasting away time at work. I actually enjoy this -- my boss is paying me to assist open source, without even realizing it!! Life can be good.

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44651 date=1028598579]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44615 date=1028575683]
    Bring on those admin rights Cloverm, I'll be glad to help out.
    [/quote]
    You're on. Make me proud! ;D
    [/quote]

Muhahahaha... I have ze powa...

Schadow Man, before you get too deep into writing all those PETs, you had better ask our new benevolent dictator if he will create the category
    I warn you, the whole process might involve stuffing brown envelopes with cash. (Why brown? I dunno)

I can't create that category, it seems that all I'm really allowed to do now is to change all the PETs...

buhu I have less powa that I thought...

oh and a brown paper bag wil do just fine.

Mentor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44819 date=1028707756]
    I can't create that category, it seems that all I'm really allowed to do now is to change all the PETs...

buhu I have less powa that I thought...

oh and a brown paper bag wil do just fine.

[/quote]

I did not write an interface to edit categories. If you guys come up with a list of categories, I'd be glad to set them up.

Good Guru

I got a shitload, but havent had a chance to reread them for proofreading and readability check#2. I got about a dozen sofar. I expanded from my original list too.