Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea for new PET category

Mentor

Re:Idea for new PET category

True enough, I'm working on some major projects and have little time to dedicate to LJR improvements right now. However I could give administrator's access to the PETs to someone. Who wants to volunteer?

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=4309

according to this both Lovechild and Stryder would be up for it. dunno if they still feel the same way about it though.

Good Guru

If the PETs are in pure HTML, then it's easier to maintain it.

Only the first a few will be harder since we have to convert the current CGI based to HTML web pages but after that it should be a breeze to maintain it.

I think a logo is a good idea (or at least something that draws attention to the PETS)
    My graphical design skills are nothing to speak of, but I have a couple of ideas if any of you gimp freaks are looking for inspiration:
    1.Tux with some children's blocks in front of him. Instead of the normal "ABC", they read "PET".
    2.An upside-down tux reading a pet manual (which is the right way up)
    I think the message is clear in both cases.

Btw, is nobody else (apart from Schotty) sold on the idea of plain english man pages? It might be a misjudgement on my part, but I think if they are done right, they could help bring in other newbies. I have given it some thought since I originally proposed it and if anyone is interested, I will post a guide as to how they should be written (IMHO). Like I said, they would need to be done right.

tux playing with blocks - cool!!

Good Guru

[quote author=pam link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44556 date=1028547658]
    Btw, is nobody else (apart from Schotty) sold on the idea of plain english man pages? It might be a misjudgement on my part, but I think if they are done right, they could help bring in other newbies. I have given it some thought since I originally proposed it and if anyone is interested, I will post a guide as to how they should be written (IMHO). Like I said, they would need to be done right.
    [/quote]

The one thing that I have had noticed problems with is the man pages. They are almost too daunting for the newbies for the most part. PETs on man page frequent items could be a bonus. Besides, what would happen if we did it and nobody liked it? Nothing. What if they do like it? Then its a win. I see this as a nobrainer. Do a PET on whatever, people will read it then (if they want to). If they dont -- oh well.

when you say PET man pages do you mean man pages in plain english? e.g. i type man sort i am given a nice easy to understand man page

sounds cool, don't they have a html2man utility out there?

Good Guru

yup, like a PET on (random proggie).....smbmount. The man pages, yes explain it well, but not exactly the best way for a noob to learn the CLI way to smb sharing. Throw up a pet, and voila. Kinda like the one I did on file compression tools. Almost exclusively CLI tools.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=18;threadid=4440;start=0#44585 date=1028565319]
    when you say PET man pages do you mean man pages in plain english? e.g. i type man sort i am given a nice easy to understand man page

sounds cool, don't they have a html2man utility out there?
    [/quote]
    Well I'm just thinking about a category in the PET section called "commands" or "man pages" initially. If we manage to get a decent number of them, then why the hell not? I don't think it's a good idea to override the official man pages, but what if a downloadable database was provided along with a reader (called somthing like "peman" or "ljrman" - ) to read these "special" man pages? (naturally the reader will have ljr logos all over the shop to maximise shameless self promotion )
    But anyway we're getting ahead of ourselves, as we have no man pages yet (I haven't even written "clear" yet ) and the whole concept is unproven.

Bring on those admin rights Cloverm, I'll be glad to help out.