Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenSSH source trojan

Re:OpenSSH source trojan

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=5;threadid=4436;start=0#44400 date=1028388291]
    they really should change that.. it just doesn't sound right to say "hey look at our OS.. .it's so secure and so great, oh but we're hosting it on Solaris though"

don't they have any source of income to get them their own server and bandwith?

[/quote]

The only source of income they have is selling t-shirts, CD's and posters. But most of these funds is used to buy new hardware or make other CD's, tshirts and posters.

heh, well if they can't come up with a way of making some money to actually invest in usefull stuff then they deserved this imo

Good Guru

I dunno, I was speculating. However, I seriously doubt they were asking for it. Perhaps if the Sun box wasnt up to date. But either way, they really ought to be running OBSD by now.

Good Guru

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=5;threadid=4436;start=0#44400 date=1028388291]
    they really should change that.. it just doesn't sound right to say "hey look at our OS.. .it's so secure and so great, oh but we're hosting it on Solaris though"[/quote]
    Absolutely ....

How much does it cost to have a dedicated server with some bandwidth ( say 30 GB a month?? ) ... It's no more than a few hundred dollars. Or at least run web pages on OBSD and then point the FTPs to world wide mirrors ....

So whatever excuses they are giving is not justified, period.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=5;threadid=4436;start=0#44407 date=1028389407]
    heh, well if they can't come up with a way of making some money to actually invest in usefull stuff then they deserved this imo
    [/quote]
    Exactly ...

[quote author=ShadowMan link=board=5;threadid=4436;start=0#44398 date=1028387865]My bet is that they dont necessarily own the equipment. If that is the case, perhaps they will change that ....[/quote]

You're absolutely right, openbsd.org is a webserver inside the University of Alberta in Calgary, which happens to run Solaris and was graciously donated to the OBSD people. IOW, free bandwidth. If somebody was giving me free bandwidth, the last thing I'd do is say "Hey, you suck, use our OS instead."

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=5;threadid=4436;start=0#44490 date=1028449981]
    If somebody was giving me free bandwidth, the last thing I'd do is say "Hey, you suck, use our OS instead."
    [/quote]

Thats very true. It's sad that it's being hosted on a Solaris box (since I truely belive that OpenBSD is much more secure and better suited for servers) but the team doesn't have much of a choice unless they want to become a buisness in the traditional sense. IMHO that would suck.

The best outcome I can think of is some company using OpenBSD would give free space and pipe to the OpenBSD guys .... but usually it's schools and non-profit orgs that lend a hand.