Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A respectful question for non-USA residents

A respectful question for non-USA residents

1. does your country co-operate with m$ in closing
    down ftp sites that upload things that pissoff m$ ?
    2. do you have a fast , always - on, internet connection (cable modem, dsl, or better)?
    ==============================================
    XP-lanation: yeah i know america calls itself the land of the free, but we arent free to do things here that pissoff m$
    like countries with .ru, .sk, .ws extensions, for example.
    i know .ru is russia, but i wonder what countries
    .sk and .ws are?

Re:A respectful question for non-USA residents

Okay, here is one for New Zealand.

1. Not that I know of
    2. Nope. Still using the old 56k'er. In fact, our monopolistic telco had to be forced to guarantee at least 14.4kb for all areas. Good luck trying to get a decent connection speed if you're in a rural area. ADSL is starting to come through but the network its on is a shambles and its pretty expensive. ( ~$35 USD a month for 5gb @ 128kb/s)

[quote author=segfault link=board=17;threadid=4433;start=0#44189 date=1028270636]
    ADSL is starting to come through but the network its on is a shambles and its pretty expensive. ( ~$35 USD a month for 5gb @ 128kb/s)
    [/quote]

Oh boo hoo. I pay about $50 per month for an extra phone line and a dial-up ISP. I would be ecstatic if I could save $15 to get a connection 4 times as fast. (I detest the data caps though. Those are piss poor.)

Lets put this in NZ dollar terms. I pay $15 NZD a month (The standard rate for small isps') for a very reliable unlimited 56kb connection while ADSL costs $70 a month for a 128kb 5gb connection, it suddenly seems much more expensive. (Then there is 256kb *unlimited* wireless for $130 NZD per month, which doesn't seem too bad but its still expensive for the average person)

1. No, it is still legal here to share files or to give up to seven copies of a cd to friends
    2. yes, but bandwith is not very cheap here so mostly its cable or adsl - but this is around 50 kb/sec higher rates are very expensive ..

[quote author=capybara link=board=17;threadid=4433;start=0#44171 date=1028256359]
    1. does your country co-operate with m$ in closing
    down ftp sites that upload things that pissoff m$ ?
    [/quote]
    my ISP has an extra newsserver just for binaries. i've seen just about every Windows version posted on the newsgroups there both English versions as Dutch versions. That newsserver contains about 60GB of warez all the time. It's kinda like a public secret here. The government must know about it in some way, but they couldn't care less really.

2. do you have a fast , always - on, internet connection (cable modem, dsl, or better)?
    i start bitching when my downloadspeeds are under 300KB/s so yes. my upload is capped at 16KB/s though and i can only download 10 gigs every 30 days with 1.5 of that being upload. We do have another broadband provider and they don't impose any caps at all, but u'll never get much more than 100KB/s with them.

1. No, I don't believe that's ever happened, but we have had some nasty trials involving deeplinking, where this was ruled illegal (you basically can link directly to something in Denmark --- go figure). We also have our own version of RIAA here, and they were for sometime very agressive in suing teenagers, and we have anyone private group call the Anti Piracy Group which has become known for busting LAN parties. Very cowardly, since teenagers have a hard time getting decents legal help and therefore for the most part will just pay the HUGE fines, in return for them not to be turned over to the police, thus not getting anything on their records.

2. I have a cheap always on cable connection (1Mbit) but it's not limitless, I have a 5gb/month cap on, which for most months is perfectly ok, since I don't pull down movies and large Linux isos every month. You could also just order ADSL (uptill 2Mbit currently) which is currently without any limits what so ever.

1. Probably not, but I'm not one to say.

2. Always. Although my ADSL has just begun charging money for all downloads over 1 Gig, so it looks like I'll be giving the cable company a call

Advisor

Canada:

1) Not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't really mean much

2) There is cable / adsl close to my home, but it's not quite in my town yet (they say cable will be soon)