Thread: VPN on Linux

VPN on Linux

I know linux can do this but has anyone here tried setting this up? Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of?

Good Guru

Re:VPN on Linux

Lemme find out -- I got a friend who does a RedHat 7.1 VPN connection to work. I think he wrote some custom code, but I will find out for ya.

Hello,
    I've never set one up myself but I think you could look into something like FreeS/WAN.
    http://www.freeswan.org

Thanks Schotty and Stix. Forgot all about FreeS/WAN. Found something on CIPE but have not had a chance to check it out.

[quote author=Stumbles link=board=4;threadid=4427;start=0#44084 date=1028201614]
    I know linux can do this but has anyone here tried setting this up? Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of?
    [/quote]

Yep, IPSec will do with many propietary brands such as Win2K/XP, Cisco,
    Checkpoint, etc.... The biggest gotcha's are that you are limited to 3DES
    encryption, x509 certs are kinda a pain to setup on FreeS/WAN for M$
    client defaults, and you'll need to compile a new kernel for 2.2.x systems.

I've been told that CIPE is supposed to be a little more functional, but I
    haven't needed to try it as of yet.

Yep, IPSec will do with many propietary brands such as Win2K/XP, Cisco, Checkpoint, etc.... The biggest gotcha's are that you are limited to 3DES encryption, x509 certs are kinda a pain to setup on FreeS/WAN for M$ client defaults, and you'll need to compile a new kernel for 2.2.x systems.

I've been told that CIPE is supposed to be a little more functional, but I haven't needed to try it as of yet.
    Thanks.

Still waiting on the folks from the other end to tell me what I need. I suppose if one methodology is used, say IPSEC, then another cannot be intermingled with ipsec.

No, not intermingled. There are IPSec, PPtP, CIPE, ztunnel, zebedee,
    and some other possible protocols. Of these, IPSec and PPtP are the
    most common across commercial venders.