Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Using sblive and linux for first time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using sblive and linux for first time

Using sblive and linux for first time

I compiled the sound driver into the kernel and every thing works great in root, but as a user nothing works. On startup of kde I get this error:

Error while initializing sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (access denied)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I changed the permissions for /dev/dsp and /dev/audio so that everyone under the sun has permission---no go.

Any thoughts guys?

Re:Using sblive and linux for first time

how did you changed the permissions? also, do you have the right driver? sblive should be emu101k if i am not mistaken.
    try doing a modprobe for it.

emu101k:
    Compiled in kernel---works in root.

chmod 777 and I played with suid and guid all three no go.

Still any ideas?

i am gussing that this is a sound deamon issue, what happens when you do a cat somefile.wav > /dev/dsp - you should hear something.

[quote author=flashingcurser link=board=1;threadid=4425;start=0#44043 date=1028175142]
    emu101k:
    Compiled in kernel---works in root.

chmod 777 and I played with suid and guid all three no go.

Still any ideas?
    [/quote]

Try putting your user in the 'audio' group and [as root do this: chmod 622 /dev/dsp and chmod 666 /dev/mixer]

[] Taken from the xmms.org faq

pbharris:

bash: /dev/dsp: Permission denied

Permissions on the file:
    bash-2.05a$ ls -l ./dsp
    crwsrwsr-x 1 root sys 14, 3 Jul 18 1994 ./dsp

segfault: As far as I know there isnt a group called "audio"

Any other thoughts

In the /etc/group

root::0:root
    bin::1:root,bin,daemon
    daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
    sys::3:root,bin,adm
    adm::4:root,adm,daemon
    tty::5:
    disk::6:root,adm
    lp::7:lp
    mem::8:
    kmem::9:
    wheel::10:root
    floppy::11:root
    mail::12:mail
    news::13:news
    uucp::14:uucp
    man::15:
    games::20:
    slocate:x:21:
    smmsp::25:smmsp
    mysql::27:
    gdm::42:
    ftp::50:
    pop::90op
    nobody::98:nobody
    nogroup::99:
    users::100:
    console:x:101:

why having the suid bit set on the device file - i would make it chmod 0666 /dev/dsp

what distro do you run FlashingCursor, I see that you have no audio group, and this should be present in all installations.

Slackware does not have it as far as I know.