Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arrgg!! mp3 to ogg script is not going well...

Good Guru

Re:arrgg!! mp3 to ogg script is not going well...

well if I wanted to say, do this

mp3upload Rammetein\ -\ Heirate\ Mich.mp3

how would I get that to get passed through properly? For the life of me I can t get it to go past the \_ parts. It hates spaces. I am not really in the mood to modify over 1000 mp3s by hand to remove spaces and replace them with underscores.

Feztaa - you da man! you soultion worked nicely. Thanks!!

[quote author=Schotty link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44139 date=1028226986]
    well if I wanted to say, do this

mp3upload Rammetein\ -\ Heirate\ Mich.mp3

how would I get that to get passed through properly? For the life of me I can t get it to go past the \_ parts. It hates spaces. I am not really in the mood to modify over 1000 mp3s by hand to remove spaces and replace them with underscores.

[/quote]

If it really won't work with quoting or escaping, then you could automate the renaming of your files, something like this (warning: I haven't actually tested this)
    Code:
    for i in *.mp3
    do
    echo $i | grep " " && cp $i `echo $i | sed 's/ /_/g'` && rm $i
    done
    Note use of back ticks (not apostrophes) surrounding the copy to expression.

Good Guru

kewl, I wil give it a shot. I currently have enough space to do a cp instead of a move, so I can verify that things worked okay.

Thanks a bunch. I suppose it wouldnt hurt reading your PET, now would it ;D

[quote author=Schotty link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44234 date=1028297163]
    I suppose it wouldnt hurt reading your PET, now would it ;D
    [/quote]
    Hopefully not, but it might

That copy and remove thing will probably be grossly inefficient (that was just my cautious side coming out), it would be better to "mv" the files outright. I would just test it on a small sample of files with and without spaces in a separate dir before doing it for real. (hey, I don't want to get the blame for killing your Britney collection )

[quote author=pbharris link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44167 date=1028254070]Feztaa - you da man! you soultion worked nicely. Thanks!![/quote]

np

[quote author=pam link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44283 date=1028314144]
    <snip>(hey, I don't want to get the blame for killing your Britney collection )
    [/quote]

YOU KILLED MY BRITNEY COLLECTION!!!

joke!! really - the regexpres PET is very nice and i have refered no less than 3 people who have also found it helpful

[quote author=pbharris link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44341 date=1028335185]

YOU KILLED MY BRITNEY COLLECTION!!!

joke!! really - the regexpres PET is very nice and i have refered no less than 3 people who have also found it helpful

[/quote]

I was actually talking about Schotty's Britney collection (hmmm, he seems to have changed his name since I exposed him as a "Britneyophile" ), but if I've managed to kill two collections then I must be in excellent form at the moment. 8)

Btw, nice to hear that people found the PET useful, you can never be sure if that stuff is going to get read when you put it out.
    Thanks

Good Guru

[quote author=pam link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44283 date=1028314144]
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44234 date=1028297163]
    I suppose it wouldnt hurt reading your PET, now would it ;D
    [/quote]
    Hopefully not, but it might

That copy and remove thing will probably be grossly inefficient (that was just my cautious side coming out), it would be better to "mv" the files outright. I would just test it on a small sample of files with and without spaces in a separate dir before doing it for real. (hey, I don't want to get the blame for killing your Britney collection )
    [/quote]

Women do tend to enjoy inflicting pain on me -- but I kinda like that

Anyhoo -- I got a pissload of files. I got an even bigger free space available. I can copy a dir to a test dir, and run a mv version or just do a copy.

And if I had BSpears, I hope your program would vape the crap off my drive. Or turn it into Rammstein or KMFDM or something better. "Oops, I farted again!" is her best song! With bacground music by W. Al

Good Guru

[quote author=pam link=board=9;threadid=4424;start=0#44377 date=1028370092]
    (hmmm, he seems to have changed his name since I exposed him as a "Britneyophile" )
    [/quote]

I have finally reached the ultimate in linuxification -- The ShadowMan. Or reached the ultimate in RedHat sluttitude (is that a word??).