Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The distro of the year

The distro of the year

<start of "Im bored as hell at work rant">

Ok all you mandrake bashers, Drake 8.2 is distro of the year and your distro isnt!!!!! MUAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

<end of "Im bored as hell at work rant">

Re:The distro of the year

I have no problem with that... Drake is a fine distro, not only for Newbies but also for UN*X vets.

i dont know why but i haven't like any of the 8.x versions of drake, they seemed slower, uglier, and buggy. I like mandrake back in its 7.2 days thats the only version of drake ill install. as for distro of the year, i dunno it seems like a lot of people horded around Gentoo, but I still personally love slackware. Soooo I'm going with slackware 8.1

Good Guru

I have to say RedHat or SuSE. SuSE is RedHat + lots of shit, but minus awesome support (SuSE has very good support, but RedHat still wins over anyone I have tested out).

I hear that Mandrake has awesome support -- has anyone actually called and asked for help? What was the verdict? SuSE was good, but didn't seem to take the long way, just to be sure. RedHat stepped through everything, and made me feel like they knew everything extremely well. I dont care if they were reading procedures, they impressed the shit out of me. SuSE got the problems resolved correctly, but seemed to rush over alot of points that could be points of failure.

Just in case someones is asking what the problem was -- incorrectly configured NIC. A few friends were doing a group project on tech support for Linux. They asked me to give them a hand. I created a problem for them, and called up the tech support for each. Since it fell under installation issues, I got the pseudo problem fixed for free. I bought a SuSE set for it (6.3) and my friend got a box set of RedHat 6.2 (I think. may have been 6.1 at that time, one revision back from the current release IIRC) from a local shop.

Needless to say, their point, Linux has strong support that aint going away anytime soon, was validated.

So who called Mandrake up..... I wanna know.

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=7;threadid=4419;start=0#44011 date=1028149133]
    i dont know why but i haven't like any of the 8.x versions of drake, they seemed slower, uglier, and buggy. I like mandrake back in its 7.2 days thats the only version of drake ill install.
    [/quote]

I agree. I switched from Redhat to Mandrake at about the 6.1 days and then switched to Slack at MDK 7.2 .....

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=7;threadid=4419;start=0#44011 date=1028149133]
    i dont know why but i haven't like any of the 8.x versions of drake, they seemed slower, uglier, and buggy. I like mandrake back in its 7.2 days thats the only version of drake ill install. as for distro of the year, i dunno it seems like a lot of people horded around Gentoo, but I still personally love slackware. Soooo I'm going with slackware 8.1
    [/quote]

I'll go with Slack 8.1 too - It works, its stable and its up to date.

8) Slackware 8)

I was actually referring to the FACT that mandrake won distro of the year at those open source awards

Personally Ive never used anything but Mandrake 7.0-8.2., and redhat 7.1 in school. And I know its not the same as RH 7.3, but I didnt think it was laid out as nice as Drake at all. And the Drake Control Panel is such a useful tool! Does redhat have something like that?

Anyways, Wait until 9.0!!!!!

Good Guru

Redhat has tools, yes. But as idiot-ized as Mandrake has gone with. mandrake's tools are just easier to use and learn for a new-to-linux guy. I do think though that Mandrake has two or three more tools than RedHat -- namely the font importer.

However, RedHat at this point is not necessarily what I would give grandma and expect her to do full usage. RedHAt would only be ideal at this time if I were to ssh and remote admin it. 8.0 is going to be the transition from what I hear. 9.0 is going to be the full monty when it comes to desktop options. Which is about time I have waited for RedHat to go apeshit after the average joes for quite some time.

Good for Mandy. I still don't see too many people starting with it getting anywhere on really learning Linux. I have never used it. Is it really that user-friendly??? Oh well. I agree with Schotty, but my vote is for SuSE now. ;D